VOL.4 Chapter 15, Fears of the Divines.

"What has you two so riled up?" Kanrish asked as he realized both Akane and Misuki seemed completely out of it.

He had noticed Akane was more clingy than he was used to from her, and similarly Misuki had been more distant, but what would the cause for this be?

He could only guess, but his gut told him it had to do with Inari's meddling with their code.

"Y-you know we've been gone for a month because of Inari... but we don't know what to think about ourselves anymore. Kanrish, I-I'm scared..." Misuki spoke with trembling voice and Kanrish opened an arm to hold her, which she dove right into.

It seemed she needed his comfort as well now.

"What got you two this scared?" Kanrish asked the twins and they looked at him with terrified eyes before they replied.

"I don't feel like... myself... anymore. It's so weird, all my memories and feelings are the same, but I don't feel the same. I-i-it's t-ter-r-ri-fy-fying me..." Akane spoke, her voice catching more and more as she spoke and trembling immensely all the way.

"What do you mean? Inari told me she wouldn't change anything about you two except the code you were made up from. There isn't anything different, if that's the case." Kanrish replied, hoping to soothe their fears, but as he feared, it didn't work.

"Then why do we feel so different?" Misuki asked and Kanrish sighed.

"Guess we need to call in someone to clarify things?" He muttered and the twins both shook their heads in vehement denial of the idea.

"Why don't you want to face her? She can clarify everything about this." Kanrish asked and saw a notification pop up.

{Inari} {It seems you need some help, Love.}

With a sigh, Kanrish typed his reply into the chat function which Inari had somewhere down the line implemented into his {H.U.D.} and asked her for clarification on what she had done.

{Inari} {Oh, I just had to rebuild them from the ground up, as you know. There is nothing different about them, I kept my promise. But I can understand that they might feel different. They lost a full month of memories and time rolled on without them around.}

{Kanrish} {Then why would they feel like this if nothing really changed?}

{Inari} {Simple. They have no recollection of my month of tinkering with their code, that would throw anyone off. What technically happened, is that they slept for a month while I was working. That's all.}

Kanrish sighed again as he read the messages.

The woman simply seemed to be unable to understand the twins' worries.

{Kanrish} {You must have more to say about what happened? I know that what you did amounted to a code rework to transition it from one set of code to another. But has anything happened during that process?}

{Inari} {No, of course not, why would it, I'm a skilled programmer...}

That reply alone, told Kanrish something had definitely gone wrong during her time rebuilding the twins.

But what.

And how severe was that 'error'.

{Kanrish} {Out with it, something happened that wasn't supposed to happen. And you saying you're a skilled programmer tells me you're the kind who freaks out when you encounter anything without knowing where to find resource information. What in the nine hells has happened to my wives!?}