VOL.4 Chapter 20, Compromises.

"Where did this suddenly come from?" Kanrish asked curiously.

"What'd you think? I'd like to get to know a place for once and not have to worry about where our next two-day stop will be that I need to find places to enjoy again. Not everyone of us takes to always being on the road as well as you think, you know." Emiko spoke venomously.

"I see." Kanrish replied defeatedly. He had, in fact, thought all of them enjoyed their travels as much as he did, but that turned out not to be the case.

"And anyway, I don't know if you noticed... but only Hapii seems to have no qualms with constantly being on the road." She added and a raven-like squawk quickly followed.

"It's not like I don't mind it at all you know!" Hapii rebutted Emiko, but Lyya was already trying her best to calm the rising discussion before it would get out of hand.

"I know we should be able to find some form of compromise, especially now that we as a family are technically a mercantile company, so we have to do some degree of travel. But I think we can figure something out, don't you too Kan-Kan?" Lyya added as she stood between Kanrish and Emiko.

An hour went by where Lyya tried to negotiate between Kanrish and Emiko, but the latter would not give any ground. She simply moved farther away from everyone, to the edge of the clearing they were in.

"Aela, could you keep an eye on the outside of the clearing?" Kanrish asked and Aelanna nodded.

"No problem, these barrier posts aren't all-mighty in repelling monsters." She replied understandingly and sat down a distance between their group and the sulking Emiko on the edge.

The remainder of the evening was shrouded in awkward silence as Lyya, Akane, Misuki and Aelanna each pondered Emiko's rant.

Upon the coming of dawn the next day, Emiko did help her younger sister with breakfast, but sat down on the edge of the clearing again once done and began eating there.

"Emiko, you might want to come along now, your dad is considering leaving you here if you don't hurry." Alcea suddenly addressed her as she sat with her back to the others.

"Wh-what!?" She exclaimed surprised. Simply by the fact he would consider abandoning her here in this hostile land.

"He said if you really wanted to start your own life, he'd leave you here for that. I think you really ticked him off." Alcea replied.

With a groan of annoyance and protest, Emiko rose to her feet and joined the rest in the carriage as it stood ready to leave.

What should we do? She really wasn't open to any form of compromise yesterday; I did my best to get through to her. Lyya spoke telepathically to Kanrish and the twins. Finally having a reason to use the connection she had established with the expensive scrolls she had purchased a long time ago.

Not sure, I mean, I would like to stay in one place for a bit longer to wind down after our travels from time to time, but I don't know how we can really stay in one place long easily. Akane replied honestly and Kanrish nodded.

We might need to just stay longer in cities when we reach them, perhaps even stay in towns and villages we reach for a week or so. It might at least for some part soothe her rage. And we would all benefit from it. He replied honestly.

Like that, their silent discussion continued until lunchtime.

Emiko and Ayame once again made their meal, Alcea sat trying to figure out how to work with the {Arcane Tablet} now it wasn't in use and was starting to make some slow progress.