VOL.4 Chapter 16, A race against a Goddess.

[Author's note]

A little bonus from me to you all, since the previous chapter was rather short, this is a double release to compensate for this. And I found the chapter needed to be continued right away so leaving two weeks until this chapter felt wrong, even for you guys.

Enjoy and...

Roll for initiative...

It was not much later after Kanrish had made his declaration of 'war' against Inari, that Alcea had visibly grown worried about what awaited all of them.

Kanrish had told them it would be painful, excruciatingly so.

That worried her, but if it meant she and her lover were safe, she was willing to put through with it.

Lyya had grown pallid at the statement.

She had seen first hand how much agony Kanrish had to go through to root himself. And that same agony now awaited her and their family.

The twins were oblivious to what it entailed, but gratefully accepted his offer.

Ayame and Hapii, similarly had no idea what world of pain the two of them were in for but didn't speak against it.

"Ayame, park the carriage when we find a clearing that seems safe. I have little time to root all of you to prevent that bitch from pulling any stunts." Kanrish spoke coldly.

He knew all too well what he was going to put his entire family through, but he also intended to put them to sleep with magic.

He wished to lessen the strain they would have as much as he could.

About an hour after he had told her, Ayame found a clearing.

It was one with the barrier posts they had encountered on their way with Pharana at the time.

No other carriages were there, but a few remaining cookfires smoldered throughout the clearing, probably from the previous caravan or groups that passed through here.

"Ayame, Emiko, Alcea, I'm going to need to ask the three of you to set up camp. I'm going to get all my preparations for tonight done before dinner. I feel like this is a race against time, but I need to do this. For everyone's safety." He spoke and the three nodded as they set to work on their duties.

Ayame and Emiko began to prepare their lunch, which was first to come anyway.

Alcea began setting out the few things they had for these camping moments.

A large sheet of thick cloth to sit upon.

A few cups and such for everyone along with the chopsticks they had over time in the capital adopted to using and a few plates for everyone.

After that, she set about making tea and served it to everyone while they waited for their lunch.

Aelanna took a brief patrol around the clearing, simply to inspect all of the barrier posts so they were sure they were fully functional, and thus their group would be safe.

Akane and Misuki were so petrified with their own insecurities at the moment, that they simply clung to Kanrish.

And lastly, Lyya cleared a bit of weeds and grass around their impromptu stove so they would be able to cook safely once the dark elf sisters set out to actually cook their lunch.

And as for Kanrish, he sat with the twins working to prepare the files to root his entire family.

He added his {Administrator Status} to the {Sleep} spell he intended to use on them all so they had to suffer as little as he could make it for them.