VOL.4 Chapter 18, The lumberyard.

The third day of their travels, they finally arrived at the lumberyard Kazumi Murata had pointed them to.

But to Kanrish surprise, the place was in shambles as well.

The lumberjacks were busy fighting off flare wyverns that kept swooping down. All they had for their weapons, were their logging axes.

The woodcutters that sawed the trees were hiding from the onslaught of flying, fire breathing death above them.

But the battle seemed to have slowed to a stalemate.

The lumberyards' staff weren't able to properly drive off the beasts, and the wyverns were unable to properly take down their attackers, or prey, depending on how you looked at it.

"Aelanna, protect Lyya, the kids and Daisuke. Akane, Misuki, you're coming with me." Kanrish addressed everyone and the twins eagerly nodded.

"Have at me!" Kanrish bellowed as he leapt from the carriage, two rifles shouldered and already charged with magic to fire away.

Akane drew her blade, the Frozen Reaper from the blueish scabbard and Misuki summoned her own rifle, embedded into her wedding ring as the three of them advanced to the onslaught that was taking place before their eyes.

A small group of the attacking wyverns, still numbering in the twenties, changed their target at Kanrish' shout and swooped his way.

Akane simply howled deathly and her wings burst from her shoulders as she took flight.

Misuki too, revealed her wings and unleashed shots from her own rifle and flung spells at the attacking wyverns.

Kanrish, however, simply went running and gunning through the lumberyard.

He performed a series of hit-and-run kills on several wyverns about to take the life of the staff of the place.

In the light that someone had finally come to take care of the attacking wyverns, the people who manned the lumberyard ran for the carriage where Aelanna stood atop the coachman stand.

Her mithril armor bared to the faint trickles of sunlight from above as she had smoothly removed her casual clothing before transforming into her hybrid form to fend off any attacking wyverns.

"Akane, to your left!" Kanrish called loudly.

At his warning, the Demi-Goddess locked her wings and made a dive to her left, landing on the neck of a wyvern that was lunging at a group of three members of the lumberyard, two women and a man had fallen under attack from the beast, but Kanrish had been unable to get there in time.

So with her legs straining around the beast's neck, Akane lobbed off the head with a clean cut. Seeing how much mana she was able to safely fuel into her sword, seeing it would never take her life, and thus, she supplied it with enough to cut even the hardest materials.

And even the wyvern's tough hide was no match for her blade at this sharpness.

The resistance it would face without any magic fueling it, was non-existent and no matter how tough the material was it had to cut, it simply could not stop the momentum of the blade with this much magic supplying it into utterly ridiculous sharpness and slickness.

While the giant wyvern toppled forward, Akane stretched her wings and took off again before the corpse she was on would have smashed her face-first into the ground.

Misuki swiftly cast another spell that sent three wyverns tumbling to the ground before Kanrish, their wings simply unusable because of the frozen spikes of ice impaling the joints.