Chapter 53

You hurried home after the incident with Connor. You were excited to tell Markus the good news. You hurried to Markus' place and the door opened for you. You walked in and looked around for Markus. You looked around. You walked into the studio and you were stunned. Markus...was painting! You watched him curiously. His eyes were closed as he focused on his work. You were stunned by his ability. 

"Whoa..." His eyes opened and he turned. He looked surprised.

"(Y/n)..I didn't hear you come in." He said.

"Sorry. I should've tried to get your attention instead of just watching." You said. He smiled a little and set down the paints and the brush.

"It's okay (Y/n)." He assured you. You smiled. Then, you remembered what you had been so eager to tell him.

"Oh! Markus! There's hope for my memory after all! I was with Connor and I remembered a time before he was deviant! He had chased me on the rooftops and I had gotten away. I remember him! I remember that day with him!" You said.

"What? Really?!" He asked, clearly thrilled that there was hope after all.

"Yeah! Maybe if I sty I'll start remembering more about my time with you!" You said. He smiled.

"I hope so." He said. You smiled. You hugged him happily and he hugged back. 

"What made you remember?" Markus asked. 

"I asked him what missions he had been on and he brought up that he had chased a few people before. I remembered myself being one of them." You replied. He nodded. 

"That makes since, but...we've told you about what happened and you have no recollection of it. There's....there's something we're missing." Markus said. You frowned.

"I don't know what that could be." You admitted.

"It's alright. At least we know that there's still hope." Markus said. You smiled and nodded.

"Yeah. At least we still have that." You agreed.

"Until we can figure it out, I guess well just have to make the best of this." Markus said.

"Agreed." You replied. "How about we do something together? Something fun! It'll help both of us relax." You said. He smiled.

"Alright. Why don't you think of something? You've always been smarter than me. You have great ideas." He complimented. You blushed a little and smiled.

"Thanks." You replied. You thought about what you both could do. 

"How about we go for a walk? Maybe a walk through the city will help refresh my memory." You said. He smiled. 

"Perfect." He replied. You both headed out together. You walked around, taking in the sights. You walked past a mall like area. You looked at it for a moment. Markus had noticed that you had stopped. He came over to you.

"(Y/n)?" He asked. You stared hard at the sight before you. You gasped as you remembered this place.

*Flashback* 

Soon enough you began to wander around, just looking for another place to hide or maybe something useful lying around. You bumped into someone.

"Oh. My apologies." You looked up. You were met with bright green eyes. An android. He must've thought you were human.

"No, it was my fault. Sorry." You said. He looked a little surprised to hear you say that word to him. He just nodded and kept walking. You watched as he left. You wanted to call him back. You wanted to free him, but you couldn't. You frowned and turned away. Then, you heard shouting. You turned back toward where the android had left. You gasped. Protesters had surrounded him. You hurried over as he was pushed to the ground.

"Look at this little motherfucker. Steal our jobs, but you can't even stand up!" A girl hissed. The others agreed with her. He tried to get up. The man leading the protest kicked him and he fell back down.

"Job stealer!"

"Get him!"

"Kick him down!" They yelled. You hurried over.

"Hey! Wait!" You said. They didn't hear you over the shouting. He tried to get up again. The man grabbed him.

"You ain't goin' anywhere. We're gonna fuck your bitch ass up." He growled.

"Stop!" You shouted. He turned to you. "Leave him alone! What did he do?" You said.

"You're actually standing up for this tin can?" He said.

"He didn't do anything wrong! He was just passing by! You can't just destroy him!" You said.

"This piece of plastic is a just another human replacement! They're taking our jobs!" He growled.

"You don't know what he does, first off. Secondly, how is that his fault? Let him go!" You said.

"Him? You mean it, heheh." He laughed darkly. You glared at the man. Then, a cop came over.

"Alright, that's enough. Leave it alone." He said. You sighed in relief.

"Let us teach this bastard a lesson." The man growled.

"You damage it, I'm gonna have to fine you." The cop said. The man let him go.

"They're gonna steal your job next and we'll see how you like it. Both of you." He growled. You ignored him. You grabbed the paints he'd dropped and handed them to him. He looked at you, a little stunned. He took them and the officer escorted both of you away from them.

"Is this your android, miss?" He asked.

"What? Oh, um, no. I don't own any androids." You said.

"Why did you try to help this one?" He asked.

"Well...everybody has a purpose right? What if he's important, like a caretaker or something?" You said. He shrugged.

"Whatever." He said and walked off.

"Thank you." You turned. You locked eyes with his green ones again. He was taller than you, but he was a very nice looking model.

"Wait, really?" You asked.

"I appreciate your effort to stop them from damaging me. That was kind of you. I had to acknowledge that." He said. You smiled a little.

"It was no problem. I...don't like it when things get violent. It isn't right." You said. He nodded.

"Goodbye Mam and thank you once again." He said.

"Bye." You said. He walked away toward a bus stop. You frowned a little. I hope you have a better home than I did. You thought. After that, you continued on your way.

*End Flashback*

You felt dizzy as the memory flooded your mind. You nearly fell over, but Markus caught you.

"(Y/n)?" He asked, clearly worried.

"I..Markus..I...I remember how we met."

"You do?" He asked hopefully. You nodded. He hugged you.

"We're going to get your memory back. I promise."