13

I had been left alone in the hospital room while Poppy went to speak to another nurse. I had been stitched up, x-rayed and pumped with painkillers. A teacher...or guard was standing outside my room to make sure that I didn't try to escape. Jokes on him cause I wasn't the one to watch. Taehyung had gone for a wander and he'd been gone for over an hour. I didn't know why the guard didn't go looking for him.

The door opened, and Poppy came in. She sent me a small smile and sat down.

"How are you feeling?"

I shrugged "I'm alright. I guess"

"Did you tell them the truth about what happened?" She said, "I'm not stupid. I know what goes on in this school"

"Then why don't you do anything about it?" I snapped.

Poppy sighed "I'm trying to get the evidence I need. A lot of kids are sent here to 'clean' the streets. No one cares about them and I am one of the few members of staff that care. I have someone who is helping me prove what kind of people work here"

"Huh" I said, folding my arms "I still don't trust you fully"

"You don't need to. Just know that I am here for you. No matter what"

I turned away from her "Why do you still work there?"

"Because I'm trying to help everyone who is sent there. No kid deserves to be locked away here and not get the help they need. It's a lot like Juvie, just without bars on the windows. Well, there are bars, but you aren't locked in your room. You're allowed to wander the halls during the night and stay in the common room to play games"

"It's still a prison"

"Sometimes this place is better for some kids" Poppy said, and I looked at her "Home life can be tough for some, so this is the safest place for them. A lot of students choose to stay here and not go home"

"I don't know why. This place sucks"

"This school is someone's safe haven" Poppy said and got to her feet "Now, did you want to tell me where Taehyung went?"

"Maybe he went for a shit and got lost" I said, looking away from her again.

"Another thing Harley" She said, "Your foster parents were called and they are on the way here"

"I don't want to see them. They aren't allowed in here. I have my rights and-"

"Have you thought about talking to your social worker?" Poppy asked.

I scoffed "They are useless. I'm 19 and still with foster parents. I'm there until I become the perfect citizen. Those dick head foster parents are going to be stuck with me for a long time because I'm not changing for shit"

Poppy sighed and left the room without another word. The guard looked into the room, just to smirk at me and I sent him the middle finger. What an ass.

"Where were you Mr Kim?" I heard Poppy say.

"Sorry!" Taehyung said, "I had to go for a shit, but I got lost and the first toilets I went to were disgusting and I didn't want to dirty my ass. I could have caught something. So, I flirted with this hot nurse and she took me to the staff toilet and-"

"Just go and sit with Harley" Poppy said, "We will be leaving as soon as her foster parents are here. No more wandering around"

"Go ya" Taehyung laughed and came into the room. He grinned widely and placed his heavy bag on my leg "How are you feeling?"

"I'm better" I said, "That wasn't heavy when we got here"

"I told you HQ, I'm a genius" He giggled "I did have to go for a shit though"

"Nice" I said, sarcastically "Just what I wanted to hear. So...what did you fill your bag with?"

"Drugs" Taehyung said, opening his bag slightly "See? None for myself or any other students. The worse drug I've done is weed and that shit makes me hungry"

"The munchies"

"Got that right" He said, putting the bag on the floor "That bastard won't know what hit him. I found an unlocked drug cupboard and I just took a few bottles and pills. Can't say I know what I picked up, but we can look it up when we get back to school"

"Uh-huh" I said, "So, a medical cupboard just happened to be unlocked in a hospital, unattended and you just happened to pass by it when you got lost going for a shit"

"Yup"

"What a load of horse shit" I said, with a laugh "Go on. Who did you bang?"

Taehyung went red in the cheeks and cleared his throat "No one...fuck you HQ. It was a 3rd year nurse, but she had no idea that as I was fucking her, I was dropping pills into the bag"

I laughed "She's going to get fired and I didn't realise men could multitask while balls deep in someone"

"So?" Taehyung said, "You'll be surprised HQ what a man is capable of. Anyway, this will take Kang down, and we won't get caught"

"And if we do?"

"I don't know. Not thought that far but! I'm a quick thinker"

"I can see that" I grinned at him and my smile faded when I heard familiar voices "Fuck"

"What?" Taehyung said, looking towards the door "Foster parents?"

"Unfortunately" I muttered, and they stormed into the room. They spotted Taehyung sitting beside me and forced themselves to smile.

"Harley" Joon said, through gritted teeth "How did this happen?"

"I thought we told you to keep out of fights" Jiyoung said.

"This wasn't from a fight" I said with a shrug "The headteacher beat me up for no reason"

"Do you really think that we can believe a lie like that?" Jiyoung scoffed "I am counting down the days where you are sent to juvie. Such a disappointment to my family"

"I'm not your family" I said, glaring at them. They wouldn't hit me in front of Taehyung or in a hospital. They were smarter than that "I'm just a monthly pay check"

"You little-"

"Miss Chae. Mr Kim" Poppy said, walking into the room "The bus is here to take us back to school. Have you said your goodbyes?"

I snorted, and Taehyung helped me out of bed "Why would I want to say bye to people like them?"

"Fucking scum" Joon hissed when Poppy left, and he grabbed hold of my arm "I hope you end up like your brother"

"Hey" Taehyung said, pushing him slightly "Watch your fucking mouth or do you want me to call the cops on you? Fucking disgusting beating someone up that you are supposed to help. If anything, you're the scum"

Joon and Jiyoung stared at Taehyung with wide eyes.

"Let's go Harley" Taehyung said putting his arm around me "When we get out of here, I'll take you away from these bastards. My mum would be happy to care for you"

"You can't-"

"My mum was married to a cop" Taehyung smiled at them "I know how the system works and I know what happens to abusive foster parents. So...good day Mr and Mrs Assholes!"