▹ [40] I Need You.

"I can't believe you said those things." Said a voice from behind me.

My eyes widened as my phone fell from my hand. My body immediately shot up as my breath hitched. I turned around to see him standing there.

"Jesse." I said as I woke up from the couch. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I came to apologize to my girlfriend for the way I reacted earlier but now..." Jesse said and trailed off.

Tears started to fill his eyes. He was hurt for some reason. Was it because of me? Did I do something wrong? If so, how do I fix it?

"But what?" I asked.

My emotions slowly started to take over me. My gut was telling me that I had taken it too far with Alice and because of that, I soon found myself crying. Something inside me told me that I should have just listened to Jesse when he told me to do nothing. But me being the stubborn person I am, I didn't listen and because of that I am in this situation.

The look on his face indicated that he was disappointed in me and that only made me feel even worse. When you truly love someone with all your heart, all you want to do is please them and make them proud of you. You don't want to hurt them because when you do, you feel it too. You are somehow synced with them so you feel all the emotions that they feel.

But most of all, you know when you've screwed up.

And I've screwed up.

"But..." Jesse said and sighed. "I can't do this anymore, Soph." He said. His words cut deeper than a knife.

My heart skipped a beat after hearing that. Okay, maybe 10 beats. What the fuck was going on? Was this really happening? Did I really lose the love of my life? And for what? Because of Alice. I couldn't believe what was happening. I was getting dumped because of that bitch.

"Are you seriously going to break up with me because of Alice?" I asked as I walked towards Jesse.

He looked at me with remorse in his eyes. "That's not it, Sophia. You don't get it. It's not about Alice at all. IT HAS TO DO WITH YOU." Jesse yelled out, causing me to flinch. He started to breathe heavy, indicating that he was angry. "It has to do with you and the person you've become." Jesse added after he eventually calmed down.

I know I've changed. I know that I haven't been the same in these recent weeks but can you actually blame me? My brother died. For the first time in my life, I lost someone so close to me and that drove me insane.

"And so if I changed a little? Jesse, I'm still the same girl you fell in love with all those years ago." I cried out. Tears rolled down my cheeks uncontrollably as I felt my anxiety start to kick in.

A tear escaped Jesse's eye as he took my hand and moved me close to him. "No, Soph you're not." Hearing those words come from my one true soulmate, shattered me into a million pieces.

"Please don't." I cried. My hands started to shake so Jesse gave it a little squeeze. Looking straight into his eyes, I could see the guilt and hurt in it. "I need you, Jesse. You are my pillar of strength. You make me strong." I managed to say.

"Sophia, you don't need a man to make you strong. You are the strongest person I know with or without a man by your side."

"That's what you think. I try to put on a brave face but the truth is... that I am weak." I said as the tears was now pouring from my eyes. "The only reason why I survived Dele cheating on me with Alice was because I had you, Jesse. I had you by my side." I whispered the last part.

"Tha-" Jesse tried to talk but I decided to cut him off. I needed to tell him the truth. I needed to tell him how much I needed him in my life.

"That night at the Masquerade Ball, I was in a boat that was filling fast with water and then you came, you came and I managed to tell you how I really felt. Luckily for me, you felt the same way and that was the beginning of us. You don't know it but you saved me that night. You saved me from drowning."

"You don't need me." Jesse whispered. "And besides, I'm not breaking up with you. I just need some space." Jesse said.

I felt a little sense of relief after finding out that I wasn't getting dumped. Jesse just needs some space. There's nothing wrong with that. Surely it means that we'll be back together again soon.

Maybe like next week. Who knows.

"So you're not breaking up with me?" I asked.

Jesse placed his thumbs on my cheeks and gently brushed away my tears. He shook his head, signaling no. "No. Not at all." Jesse said and placed a soft kiss on my forehead. "I love you." He said.

"I love you too."

"But you've got to promise me that when we get back together, you will be the same girl that I fell in love with." Jess proposed.

I smiled at him. "I promise."

And with that, Jesse walked towards the door. "And Soph," He said and whipped around. "..if you really really need me, I'm only a call away." Jesse added.

I nodded. "I know." I smiled slightly.

Soon he was gone. I sat on the couch and thought of all the memories we have had together. This space between us could actually be a good thing for us. I feel like even though Jess and I were meant to be together, our relationship was somewhat rushed and that's not the way it supposed to be.

It's going to be hard being away from him but it's what's best for both of us. At least now I can focus on getting my life back in order. I'm not that girl who chased Alice away today and said all those mean things to her, I'm better than that. I need to find myself again. And I intend of doing it before I get back together with Jesse.

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

Phew 😅.. for a moment I thought Jephia was over 😳🤷🏼‍♀️

Are you guys feeling this book? 🤔 it's not over yet but.. should I do a sequel? 👀🤔

Thanks for reading ☺️ Please vote and comment 🙏🏼💜 x