54. The insect

"Alastor Moody," He simply said as we sat in our desks staring at our new DADA teacher. I didn't like him. The way he just... was, I guess. Gave me a vibe, and not a good one. "Ex-Auror... Ministry malcontent... and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

Nne of us had anything to say, or even ask. I didn't even have a smart ass question. Well, maybe a few, but I wasn't about to say them to this guy.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts... I believe in a practical approach," He continued on with what seemed to be our first lesson. No name game, or syllabus. "But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

"Three, sir," Hermione hesitantly spoke next to me. I guess these weren't your average silly ones as this was the first time Hermione seemed hesitant to participate in a class discussion.

"And they are so named?" Moody asked her as he went over to write something down on the chalkboard.

"Because they are unforgivable," Hermione said. "The use of any one of them will-

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct," Moody was writing harshly on the board as he spoke. He turned back to look at us, "Now, the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say, different! You need to know what your up against! You need to be prepared." He turned back to go over to the board. "You need to find another place to put your chewing gum beside the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!"

"No way," Seamus whispered as we all looked over at him. "The old codger can see out the back of his head."

Moody then wiped around as he threw his chalk at the back of the room, "And hear across classrooms!"

Okay, who the fuck was Dumbledore hiring now? Like was, are you crazy or hiding a secret, one of the questions he asked.

"So which curse shall we see first?" Moody asked as if we were just getting ice cream on a fun summer day. "Weasley!"

"Yes," Ron squeaked out.

"Stand," Moody commanded as the red-haired boy shakily stood from his chair. "Give us a curse."

"Well... my dad did tell me about one," Ron never met his eyes the whole time he talked. "The Imperius Curse."

"Oh, yeah, your father would know all about that," Moody hummed a bit as he talked. "Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."

Ron sat down as Moody walked over to his collection of bugs by his desk. He opened one of the bell jars as he retrieved what looked like a foreign spider. Like ones you would hear about in Australia. He used the Engorgio charm to make the spider bigger, oh no.

"Imperio!" He pointed his wand at the spider as it looked fine at first. But then the spider jumped out of his hand as he used his wand to guild it around the classroom. Even put it on Ron's head. Some students laughed, but I didn't find this funny. No way this curse was just for shits and giggles. "Talented, isn't she? What should I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?" We all watched as he pretended to do those two things, the classroom becoming deadly silent as he did so. Moody brought the insect back over to the front of the class on Neville and Dean's desks. "Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only did You-Know-Who's bidding under the influence of the Imperius Curse. But here's the rub: How do we sort out the liars?"

I immediately put my hand up into the air.

"Yes," Moody called upon me.

"People who lie are actually quite easy to spot," I informed him. "It's a matter of if the person questioning them is smart enough to catch their lies. People who are lying can never tell the same story twice, something always isn't correct, or they claim new details that will make them look less suspicious. Often, trained interrogators will ask them to repeat their stories over a long course of time."