Chapter 193

Nini POV

"Where have you two been?" Lynne asks when we enter her hospital room again. She sits on the edge of her bed, holding the side of the mattress for balance. Ricky grins and presses his hand to my back. "We just had to make a few phone calls." Lynne buys the lie and jumps into talking about seeing the scrapbook Ricky made for her and as I zone out, I start to feel a gaze on me. I look across the room to see Jason studying us, me more specifically. He's seated in a chair, leaning back as if he's being paid to play detective. I subconsciously smooth out my hair and tug on my shorts, hoping that it wasn't too obvious that Ricky and I had just done something together, but Jason's gaze looks unbothered, just intense. "Yo can I talk to you guys?" Jason interrupts Lynne and Ricky's conversation, his voice loud and sure. Todd looks worried and watches as his son rises from his seat. Ricky hesitates and looks at me, tilting his head just enough for me to know he's waiting for my permission. I nod slightly and Ricky looks towards Jason. "Fine. Let's go." He says and he intertwines our fingers tightly, leading me to the door. I knew what was coming, but I wasn't so sure Ricky did.

We somehow wordlessly decide to walk towards the hospital cafeteria. We don't order anything, just sit and down at a large table and stare at one another. "So... what?" Ricky asks aggressively and I place my hand on his leg. "I owe you both an apology." Jason smiles but it's fake down to its core and his voice sounds like it's dripping with sarcasm. "But I'm gonna bet we're not going to get one." Ricky says just as sarcastically and I squeeze his leg. We don't need to start unnecessary problems. Jason laughs and rolls his eyes, looking away. "Actually I was but now I'm not going to." He says and Ricky rolls his eyes in response as well. "Oh I'm sure. So what the fuck is this? Did Todd make you do this or something?" Jason nods and huffs. "Unfortunately." Ricky nods and then there's silence, like no one is quite sure what to say. "Um so..." Jason cuts me off and speaks up again. "I should at least apologize more to you Nini, you're the girl in the situation, a bit more sensitive, so I'm-" my eyebrows shoot up and Ricky stifles a laugh, looking down at the table. "What the hell does me being a girl have to do with anything? Scratch the damn genders, maybe if you saw people as human beings we wouldn't even be having this conversation." I say and Ricky's hand presses firmly against my back but he's laughing quietly and I know he finds this amusing. "You have different parts." Jason says dumbly and I squint at him. "Different parts? You are exactly what's wrong with men these days. Ricky and I were both walked in on. You think I'm more sensitive even though we were both disgustingly violated in the same way?" Jason eyebrows shoot up and he looks shocked, like he had no clue I'd react poorly. "You gonna jump in here bro?" Jason asks Ricky and Ricky looks at him, grinning. "No I think she's got this." He says proudly which makes Jason stutter. "You know, you're fucking annoying." I say to Jason and I can sense the surprise in both of the boys. Ricky because I don't curse, and Jason because he's shocked I speak my mind. "Look Nini you're not a fucking peach either. I'm only here to please my damn dad." I smile and lace my fingers with Ricky's, standing up and encouraging him to do so as well. "Well I've got no parent in this mix so I don't have to sit here, and I need to talk to Ricky so he gets to come with me." Jason tilts his head. "You need more sex?" I almost lunge at him but Ricky grabs me and wraps his arms tightly around my waist. "Come on, just walk away." He mutters in my hair and Jason speaks again. "You know Nini, you'd be much prettier if you weren't so-" I'm thrown off guard by Ricky letting go of me, (literally almost letting me fall from the sudden loss of his strong arms), swiftly moving to stand directly in front of Jason who was still seated at the table. "One more word. One more fucking word about her and you don't want to know what'll happen." His voice is low and I watch as Jason stands up, almost challenging him. The boys are similar in height so Ricky tilts his chin up and squares his shoulder in an attempt to stand taller. "Oh I'd love to know." Jason says just as low and the boys stare at each other, anger radiating off of them. "Then do it. Go ahead. One more word." Ricky challenges and Jason stays silent. "Thought so." Ricky says smugly before turning around and walking back towards me. "Let's go see Lucas." He says in my ear and I cup his hand in mine, still in complete shock.