Chapter Thirty-Eight

We eventually pulled onto the long narrow street that the driver almost missed since it was close to being overgrown with trees and swarms of ivy. I heard the driver gulp as he began to slowly make his way down it, it was dark since the majority of the streetlights were broken due to 'electronical issues'. All the houses were tall and compact all being tightly squeezed together to fit in as many as they could.

"It's the end one Sir" I said as he glanced at me in the car mirror, he cautiously nodded dreading going further down but since I wasn't a intimidating character he continued. He pulled up to the pavement and I gave him some money in which he quickly stuffed in his pocket, I heaved out my brief case and stood preparing myself to knock.

I pounded on it twice and waited to hear some sort of movement in the house but there was nothing but silence. Again. Small dainty footsteps approached me as I saw the door slowly creak open and a little head poke out the side.

"Miss Ceradwin! You're here" A high pitched voice filled the entire street with excitement.

"Ronnie!" I said as the door swung open, I tossed my brief case to the side and picked the small house elf up, Ronnie has been with us since I can remember and I seemed to be the only person in my family who cared the smallest bit about her.

I shut the door behind me and watched as she picked up my brief case and hurried up the stairs, "Mrs Ceradwins asleep Miss, I'm sure she'll be delighted to see you"

"Yeah I'm not to sure about that one Ronnie" I sighed and followed her up the windy narrow stairs and got to the top of the first floor. I peered around the corner of my mothers room to see her in a deep sleep. Not much has changed since the last time I saw her then.

I made my way up the second flight of stairs and flung my door open to see my dimly lit depressing room, nothing like I was used to back at Hogwarts. Though it was small and boring I did try my best to make it as homely as I could. I had a small single bed by tucked underneath my window with star lights dangling from the ceiling, my walls were painted a soft navy blue with a tone of doodles made by little me.

I sat on my bed and unpacked a small amount of clothes putting on my pyjamas and untucking the covers, my room was left exactly how I left it when I went in August. Nothing was touched, in fact I don't even think Ronnie inspected it which was a first. I slipped into bed and fell asleep to the twinkling of the star lights above my head.

"Y/n, are you still in bed? Thought I'd have a tea made by now" My mother shouted up sharply her voice echoing through the whole house. I jumped out of bed in a fright expecting it to be 1pm but as I looked down at the clock, I saw that it only read 9am.

I yawned and slipped on my slippers dreading going down to see her, I hesitantly crept down them trying my best to just avoid her and go make myself breakfast but just as I was about to pass it a loud creak came from the floor boards.

"Ah there you are finally" I heard her say from inside her dark cold room, I threw a silent tantrum outside before I put on a sarcastic smile and pushed open her door.

"Mother" I said as I walked towards her bed, she has huge blonde curls that looked like they hadn't been washed in weeks. Her room smelt of cigarettes and coffee, the curtains still being closed I flung them open and watched her squirm like a vampire.

"No no shut them, you know I hate the light" I huffed and closed them over still managing to reveal the smallest amount of light. I walked over and sat at the end of the bed waiting for her to say something.

"Well..my tea?" She said as if to give me orders, I glanced around the room presuming she was joking but the more I waited the more she made it clear she wasn't.

"You're joking, I havent seen you for 4 months and you want me to make you a tea" I said in disbelief, her head tilted not understanding why what she said was a problem. I scoffed and stood up heading towards the door.

"You can make your own tea, after all you'll only have to deal with your servant for a week" I slammed her door and rushed downstairs crossing Ronnie on the way up, I greeted her with a smile and went into the kitchen picking up an apple.

Grabbing a coat and a scarf on the way out I shouted up that I was going to the library and made my way out the door slamming it shut behind me. I felt the cold breeze instantly make me shiver and I began walking down the street looking back at the house. It was going to be a long week.

I spent the majority of my time either in the library across the street or the overgrown walled gardens hidden behind the houses trying my best to avoid mother as much as I could. It was nearing the last few days and my plans looked to be successful as I only made it possible for small talk since, I was hardly in the house.

It was the night before I was to get the train back to Hogwarts and I was packing my case with all my clothes and snacks Ronnie gave me for my travels, just as I was about to get into bed I heard loud footsteps approaching my door. I watched as it was forcefully opened a small piece of paper being flung at my head.

"Think this is funny do you Y/n?" I caught the note and unfolded it with confusion, it was the doodle Draco gave me at the start of the year; a sketch of two women and a baby in the middle with a small text that read 'spot the mother'. I sighed as she sat on the bed making a loud thud and began to ramble on about how disrespectful I was and how I would be better off with my dad and his muggle wife in the Bahamas.

"I don't want to spend the last night here arguing with you. If you knew me then you'd know that I'm actually a decent artist" I said light heartedly trying to brush off the argument, but this only made her more mad.

"You're nothing but an annoying little brat, next time dont bother coming home. I dont want you in my house again." She stormed out leaving the scent of alcohol lingering in my room.

I fell back onto my pillow just wanting tomorrow to come quicker, I woke up the next morning at 6am and got changed rushing down the stairs not bothering to wake up mum. Just as I was about to walk out I heard a small voice from the kitchen. Ronnie.

"No breakfast Miss?" She said her voice faint not wanting to wake up mother, I felt so guilty knowing that this was probably going to be my last time seeing her. I rushed over and picked her up twirling her around in a tight embrace.

"No not today Ronnie, I'm going to miss you" I said as I placed her down and crouched to meet her level as she stood in a state of shock.

"Miss will be back soon so Ronnie hasn't to worry" I bowed my head only feeling more guilty the more she talked, I hated that I had to leave her alone with my mother but it was clear she wanted me out.

"I have to leave for a while, but I'll be back for you I promise" I said as I looked at her with tears in my eyes, I handed her a key I would use to lock my door so no one would get in and told her that whats mine is yours in which I watched her face light up.

I got up and made my way towards the door giving Ronnie one last wave as I left and headed back to Kings Cross, I was looking forward to going back so much more now I knew I wasn't wanted at home. After all Hogwarts is my home.