Chapter Seventy-Five

At her latest doctor's appointment, Sophie was told that Mia was now facing head down. Meaning what exactly? That she was ready to come out whenever. Like, whenever. Even though she wasn't due for another 4 weeks, it would be totally fine if she came now.

And honestly, Sophie's panic was starting to set in. She obviously really wanted to have Mia, but she was so nervous for the whole birth and what could come after it that she couldn't even think about how whole her life would be with Mia in her arms.

Sophie had also been avoiding her mom all week, which kind of worked out because she was on nights. But, the weekend following her birthday, she realized she needed to talk to her about everything Cal had said.

"Hey, mom?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I talk to you about something?"

Her mom nodded, "Come sit."

Sophie sat beside her on the couch and took a deep breath, "Uh, I don't know how to say this, but-"

"What is it? Are you in labour? Did something else happen with you and Nate?"

"No, no, none of those."

"Sorry."

"It's fine." Sophie hesitated, "Um, the night of my birthday, Cal Jacobs, who was in a very unstable state, told us that, um, he slept with you, and Suze, and you were cheating on dad with him for awhile."

Brenda's jaw dropped, "Oh, um-"

"Wait, it's true? I didn't fully believe it until now, but you, you cheated on dad with Cal?"

Brenda made a face before nodding slowly, "Unfortunately, I did."

"Did he know?"

"Yeah, he, uh, he never said anything to Cal though. I don't know why. And he continued to be friends with him until he passed. I guess he knew to be more upset with me than him."

And Sophie realized.

Her mom did the same thing to her dad that Nate had done to her.

"That's why you were so understanding with Nate, wasn't it? Because you did the exact same fucking thing to dad?"

"Because I was just like Nate after you were born. I had a lot of issues that I didn't bother to fix, and I tumbled downhill very fast. Got myself into plenty of trouble, as you now know." Brenda sighed, "He threatened to take you away. Gave me an ultimatum. And I realized that I didn't want to keep going down the road that I was on. I wanted you, him, a family. So I chose you guys, well, not chose, it was what I truly wanted in my heart."

"Exactly like Nate." Sophie muttered.

"That night you were in the hospital? Nate and I talked and I told him about it, kind of. I didn't tell him who it was with, and I never expected you to find out that it was Cal, but you did. I see a lot of myself in Nate."

"I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing."

"I've grown from my mistakes. I learned a lot from that period in my life. Now, my question to you is, can he do the same?"

"Do you think he can?"

"I'm not going to answer that. It's what you think, and what he thinks of himself, how he currently views himself because that'll define what your future will be like."

They sat in silence as Sophie took it all in.

And she realized another thing that she couldn't believe she hadn't thought of.