Chapter Twenty-Four

East Highland Police Dept

Saturday, October 31st

8:41 AM

Tyler Clarkson walked up to the front desk and took a deep breath.

"Can I help you?" the receptionist asked as he gulped.

"I'm here to confess to a crime."

"Hi Tyler, I'm Detective Riley. My coworkers tell me that you confessed to choking minor Sophie Peters, as well as assaulting Madeline Perez while she was under the influence. Is that correct?" Detective Riley asked as she entered the interrogation room.

"Yes, I originally didn't want to turn myself in."

"Tyler, did anyone coerce you into confessing today?"

He shook his head, "No."

"Alright." Detective Riley fled the room, going to chat with her coworkers, "It seems that he did it. But, we won't truly know if we don't get Sophie Peters and Madeline Perez down here, now."

Sophie and Maddy went to the station separately, both ready to tell their sides of the story.

"Do you recognize that man?" Detective Riley asked both Maddy and Sophie, separately, while they were looking at Tyler from behind the glass.

Both Sophie and Maddy nodded, "Yes."

"Come with me." Detective Riley led her into an interrogation room, where others were waiting, "Have a seat."

Sophie sat down and gulped. Holy fuck, I can't believe I'm doing this.

"Ms. Peters, what exactly happened during your encounters with Mr. Clarkson?"

"Um, well." she took a deep breath and her voice shook when she spoke, "The first time I saw him this year was at a party, the one where he assaulted Maddy. Then, after the first football game of the year, he was there and he was making comments to me about hooking up and I declined. Um, I swore I saw him a few times in passing after that, but it wasn't a big deal until the carnival. I had walked off from Nate and he pulled me between two of the trailers and asked me to hookup again, which I declined, and then he became enraged and choked me. Maddy saw and she made him flee, but we were both too scared to say anything because of what happened to each of us."

"Sophie, if there's anything else you'd like to add, you can." Detective Riley said, trying to test if she was fully telling the truth or not.

"I've just been so scared that he would come after me if I said anything. And with Nate not being around to protect me, it was so hard." Sophie said, tears escaping her eyes.

"Thank you, Ms. Peters." Detective Riley walked Sophie out as Maddy was brought in.

"Thank you for coming in today, Ms. Perez. Can you tell me about what happened between you and Mr. Clarkson?"

"The first time I met him was last year. However, apparently we hooked up and I don't even remember it because I had way too much to drink and it makes me feel sick to my stomach that he took advantage of me." Maddy took a deep breath, "Then, at the carnival when I was walking around, I heard someone yelling by some of the trailers and when I got closer, I saw that it was Sophie and him. I yelled at him to get off of her and he looked at the two of us and then immediately ran away. I felt so bad for Sophie, she was so fucking scared and so was I. I'm just happy that he finally turned himself in."