poe dameron- clean

summary: you recall your past relationship with poe

based off of taylor swift's "clean"

poe dameron x gn!reader

warnings: cursing

word count: 1594

*written 4/26/22

...

It had been ten months.

Ten months since you broke up with Poe.

Ten months of healing and bringing up yourself.

Your relationship with Poe was classified as a "detrimental one" according to everyone you knew.

While you were dating Poe you had always brushed away their comments saying that you were fine when in fact your mental health was spiraling.

Now you watched him from across the cafeteria as he took a long swig from a beer bottle. He had another lined up next to his plate of food.

A shaky breath fell from your lips as you felt your entire relationship flood back in your head.

The constant drinking, the crying, the never showing up.

The feeling of remorse was coming back to you.

This was what happened whenever Poe was in your line of sight.

The pain coming back to you.

Right as your eyes welled up with fresh tears, you turned to see Poe's gaze on you.

Those dark brown hues that you used to get lost in locked with your teary ones.

Your breath caught in your throat as you quickly grabbed your empty plate and started towards the exit, not before placing your dirty plate on the counter.

Memories from your relationship flew through your head as you went back to your room. You could still picture your relationship even after all these months.

While you both were together, Poe had developed an awful drinking problem that had started getting out of hand.

Poe sometimes wouldn't come back home.

Nights of waiting turned into nights of crying.

You remembered all too well the night everything had shattered.

...

It was the night of your second anniversary of you being with Poe and you wanted to prepare a nice dinner for him and a night of relaxation and romance with one another.

The night before you had sat down with him and had a serious conversation with him.

"Poe, tomorrow I don't want you getting drunk. It's our anniversary and I want it to be special. So please don't. And please don't leave me alone," you had grasped his hands, your fingers interlocking.

The pilot's brown eyes softened at the sight of your intertwined hands.

He bent down and placed the gentlest kiss on your knuckles.

"I would never do that to you, especially on our anniversary," he lifted one of his hands and brushed the back of it against your cheek.

"Okay," you whispered as you leaned your forehead against his.

Your noses brushed against each other while Poe held your cheeks.

"I love you, baby," Poe shut his eyes.