The Redrum letter

We are the reckless, we are the wild youth.

Chasing visions of our futures.One day we'll reveal the truth,That one will die before he gets there.

Class had ended and as you walked between Red and Wendy to the cafeteria you scrolled through your phone, listening to your music was your free hand rested in your bag, clenching the letter in your sweaty palm. This phone was, and the sim card in it was even older. There were pictures in it that you didn't even remember taking anymore. Like one of August, asleep on some orange shag carpet that you vaguely remembered from Tiger's house.

Tiger.

Shit.

You still totally hated the guy but he didn't deserve that. Nobody deserved that.

Ugh, this day was going so well but seeing these photos, remembering the letter, your mood was shot. But that was okay. You couldn't walk on clouds all day! You were in danger. Kenny was in danger. Hell, EVERYONE was in danger. You needed to handle this, and now.

And if you're still bleeding, you're the lucky ones.

'Cause most of our feelings, they are dead and they are gone.We're setting fire to our insides for fun,Collecting pictures from a flood that wrecked our home,It was a flood that wrecked this-

"Y/N!"

You looked up as you reached the cafeteria and Token called to you. The lunch table he sat at was spilling over, full of his own group, yours, and Kenny's. Your friends. They were all your friends. Kenny gave you a wave and you paused your music, hurrying over and plopping in his lap, hugging his waist as you rested your head on his chest. He chuckled, holding you. "Tired out already?" "Everything kind of hit me all at once." You replied, wrenching the letter from your bag and tossing it onto the table. Kenny softly kissed your hair and gave you a light squeeze as Token picked up the letter, opening it. "You found this in the library, right?" "Yeah," You replied, craning your neck to look at him, "In that book Ms. Flowers suggested for me."

This seemed to give Token pause, and even Clyde spoke up. "Wait, it was found in a book someone specifically told you to check out. Isn't that a bit..." "If you say sus, I'm going to punch you." Craig threatened in his usual monotone voice, then turned to look at you. "But yeah, that's weird. You don't think Flowers is involved, do you?" "Seriously?" You snorted, "Flowers? No way. Somebody probably just overheard us. She'd never do something like that." As you spoke Token carefully opened the letter, reading it over silently. You watched as his expression went through three stages of cringe before he set it down. "You..probably shouldn't read that. Do you have more?" "In the trash can in my dorm, I haven't tossed them yet." He nodded slightly. "Good, we should grab them and take them to the police. It's important they know that whoever killed Tiger is sending these to you."

Thank god one of the smartest guys in school was on your side.

With that small but important plan now set, you joined the others in eating lunch, letting Kenny feed you from time to time and making sure he had some of your lunch too. After all, he didn't exactly get a lot of food at home, and not even the devil could stop you from taking care of your boyfriend. You took this time to just try and relax, enjoy yourself and tell yourself that everything was fine.

Everything was not fine.

Kenny walked you to your next class, and what you found waiting for you was a desk covered in dead butterflies, their wings cruelly ripped off, and a single black envelope. Glancing at each other you picked it up and opened it, reading it's contents out loud.

"How disappointing.

You had so much potential, so many opportunities.

A decent school, loving grandparents, good friends, even someone like Gregory.

And you've thrown it all away just to be with a lowlife like kenneth McCormick.

This is your only warning. Take it as very serious advice.

Toss the waste aside before you're dragged back to the hell you managed to claw from.

Or like these insects, I'll clip your wings and let you fall."

You were so not in the wood. You stuffed the letter into your bag along with the butterflies, though more carefully with them. Kenny hadn't moved, and you glanced over to see his fists clenched so tightly the nails dug into his skin, drawing blood. You gently took them into your own hands and kissed them softly. "It's okay, Ken." You reassured him, though he felt he should be the one comforting you right now. "As long as you're with me..I'll be okay." The bell rang and you kissed his hands again, urging him to get to class. He was hesitant, dragging his feet as he left the room. You put an earbud in and looked once again at the photo of August on your phone, then scrolled until finding another photo.

You and Tiger on his 13th birthday. You still remembered that day fondly, even now. Home alone at his place, mixing wine and orange soda in Champaign glasses 'to feel fancy', regretting it immediately, followed by watching V/H/S and then having to turn all the lights on in the house afterwards.

Maybe...you'd invite Damien to hang out this weekend.

Well, I've lost it all, I'm just a silhouette.I'm a lifeless face that you'll soon forget.My eyes are damp from the words you left,Ringing in my head, when you broke my chest,Ringing in my head, when you broke my chest.And if you're in love, then you are the lucky one,'Cause most of us are bitter over someone.Setting fire to our insides for fun,To distract our hearts from ever missing them,But I'm forever missing him.And you caused it.And you caused it.And you caused it.