An incredibly awkward confrontation in a high school parking lot

Mysterion followed you all the way back to the school.

He wasn't sure how to feel about you. You had tried dragging his beloved baby sister back to the loser vampire kids, and he most certainly did not appreciate that. On the other hand, you stood up to Cartman and you seemed overall....nice. So until he could make up his mind, he would be keeping a close eye on you, and hoped that you didn't go near his little sister again.

Sadly, the fates weren't in your favor.

When you, and therefore Mysterion, arrived back to the school, you were both greeted to the sight of Karen arguing with his parents. Mysterion knew why. His father wanted the two of them to drop out of school and start working, so they could give him and your mother money to feed their drug and alcohol addiction. His mother, always the better of the two, was against it, and was yelling at his father with Karen, also bringing up that if he pulls stunts like this then their kids might be sent to a foster home again. Those two boys were behind Karen, snickering slightly. Damien and Tiger, he thought their names were. Despite hanging around Karen, it was clear they didn't think much of her or Mysterion's family in general. Mysterion didn't like that, and neither did you. Eventually his parent's left, only when poor Karen was in tears. Damien and Tiger began trying to comfort her, but Mysterion watched as you gently took her arm and pulled her away from them before he could jump down and do it himself. She turned quickly and snapped at the new girl. "What is WITH you?! Can't you see I just want to be with my friends right now?! I don't know what your problem is, and I'm sure you think you're being nice, but I'm going through a lot right now and I'm pretty sure you don't understand, only my big brother does!"

Mysterion had to admit, he was proud of his baby sister for standing up for herself.

You, on the other hand, just looked...tired. Mysterion watched with interest as you ran a hand down your face, letting out a long, empty sigh before speaking. "Your parents leave you at bars."

"......excuse you?!"

Karen most definitely felt offended by the assumption, true or not, and so did Mysterion. He jumped down, ready to cut this whole thing off before you spoke again. "Your parents left you at bars, with total strangers. And no matter how fucked up the situation was, you were never scared because for you, this was normal. You didn't know that it wasn't supposed to be normal. Just like you didn't know that the fights your parents have every night, the  fights you constantly had to hide from, weren't normal. Or the smoke you were constantly inhaling while they turned the house into a fucking hot box wasn't normal. And then one day strangers come and tell you to pack up your things, but only the things that can fit in a single bag. Then they take you to a strangers house, and the strangers insist they're your new mommy and daddy. And the kids at school make fun of you for not having a real family, and their parents even support it because society is still too scared to admit that some people just shouldn't be parents, so clearly its your fault somehow, you were the problem somehow. And your foster parents do horrible things to you and it seems that none of the grownups around you are willing to listen, and you're scared and angry and you feel helpless because you're just a little girl and the world is SO fucking big and full of bad things and bad people and sometimes you feel like your best option is to just be dead."

Karen stared wide eyed at you wide eyed, and Mysterion felt the world around him slow down.

How?

How could you know all that? He didn't tell you, and clearly Karen hadn't either.

Was it one of the guys? It was Cartman, wasn't it. How dare he, and how dare you.

You were immediately on Mysterion's shitlist.

Karen's voice dropped to a whisper. It seemed she'd come up with the same conclusion as her brother, and the thought of people talking about her to strangers terrified her. "Who...who told you?!" "Nobody." Msyerion heard you say, your voice not a whisper, but soft, and low. You kept hold of Karen's arm, though your grip was loose and easy enough for Karen to pull away from if she wanted to. "Then...how do you-" "Karen, I understand. Trust me, I understand. Besides your brother, I may be the only one in this redneck mountain town who understands." You let go of her arm only to lift your own and point at Damien and Tiger. "And, I understand them. I do. I've been friends with them for at least four years. They're self righteous, and self centered, and are looking for any excuse to be angry at the world. And if they can't come up with a valid one themselves, some sort of way the world has wronged them, they latch on to someone who has. First it was me, until I grew smart. Now they've picked you, so I'm sorry if I'm being condescending Karen, but I know what I'm talking about when I say you need to stay away from them. They feed off your hurt and off your anger, and they push you to keep feeling that way and feeling that way until it kills you from the inside out. And once they're done with you they will abandon you, and make you feel like you were the bad guy the whole time." "Hey!" Damien said, clearly offended by such a comment. "That isn't true!" Shut up, Dan Morr, you edgy fucking wannabe!" You snapped, turning to him. "You and Tiger are fucking disgusting, you know that. You catfish people who disagree with you online, you had a guy in our facebook group just so you could 'sharpen your claws' by harassing and belittling him. You almost convinced a guy to kill himself. Over politics."

Holy shit.

These guys were like wannabe Cartman's.

Mysterion hated them. Deeply. They would not be near his sister again.

Karen was crying now, but hugging your arm, hiding her face in it. This..was a lot for her. It was a lot for Mysterion, who turned his glare back to you but finding it softening.

You understood like nobody else could. You understood and you had chosen to reach out to his baby sister because you could see that she needed that, she needed someone else who understood.

You gently took Karen up to the girls dorms and into your room, and Mysterion followed. He crouched on the fire escape outside your window, watching as you ordered a pizza and pulled some sodas out of the mini fridge in your room before turning the radio on and laying on the floor beside Karen, the music loud enough to be heard through the window.

The feeling sometimes wishing you were someone else.
Feeling as though you never belong.
This feeling is not sadness, this feeling is not joy,
I truly understand, please don't cry now.