A girl, a gay, and a graveyard

You sat silently in the waiting room, between your grandparents on the velvet soft sofa.

You were at a doctor's office, and you had just gone through all of the procedures needed to figure out what, if anything, was wrong with you. You had some ideas. The air in the room was tense as your grandparents discussed what to do next. Did they send you back to South Park? After everything that happened, the chance of them doing that was slim at best, and honestly that might be how things should be. Sure, you made some good friends while you were there, and part of you felt like you were finally able to work through some long term issues, but was it all really worth the absolute shit storm you ended up in?

Right now, you didn't know the answer to that question.

They spoke in hushed voices, as if that would somehow negate the fact that you were between them and could hear everything they said. Your grandfather, a big biker looking man with long grey hair in a ponytail and a beard to match, said it should be up to you to decide if you go back or not. This was your junior year, you were old enough to make that kind of choice. Your grandmother, a thin, tall woman who dyed her own grey hair blonde and wore it in long braids with red ribbons to match her red leather jacket and boots, disagreed. She argued that you were in no mental state to make a choice like that. Hell, she wanted to sue Cartman AND the school.

You were so tired.

Thankfully, the doctor came in and gave you respite from your family's bickering, as good natured and well meaning as it was.

You only half listened as the doctor explained that your results were a little muddled, but they firmly believed you had depression and a form of anxiety disorder, which made sense. The doctor also suspected a minor case of PTSD, but more tests would have to be done. For now, your grandparents were given a list of prescriptions and the name of a therapist for you to see once a week. You immediately got the prescriptions on your way home.

"...Can I go for a walk and grab something to eat?"

Your grandma glanced back at you from the passengers seat, her brow furrowed and her already thin mouth pressed into a thinner line. "I'm not sure you're okay to be on your own right now, sweetie.." "Oh let the girl go, Nora." Your grandpa butt in, keeping his eyes on the road, "The kid needs space. Just be home back 4:00, okay?"

They argued some more, but after you reiterated what your grandpa said, your grandmother caved and let you go out.

You had made it a block from your house when somebody suddenly linked arms with you. Looking up, you saw it was Junpe, who held up a brown paper bag with BIG SHUCKS OYSTER BAR written on it in sharpie. A smile curled on your face. "Hey nerd. That for us both?" "Yup. My tummy had the rumblies that lanky crab hands could satisfy." You laughed and let him lead you towards the church and cemetery. You guys used to hang out there together, but you knew this wasn't just a normal hang out. Junpe was heading for August's grave. You slowly approached grave, which was clean and brand new, though the flowers left from the funeral had already died. The pair of you sat against it and you opened the bag. Crab legs, some French fries, and two bottles of coke. You passed one to Junpe. "I think this is the first time I've ever seen you in plain jeans and a t shirt." He said, breaking a leg open and digging into it to get the meat out. You let out an almost laugh and shrugged, "Just ain't in the mood to dress up, ya know?" "Fair, fair." He pushed someone fries towards you. "So..what exactly went down? I asked Mitch but he said I should talk to you."

Because of course he did. It was your business and Mitch didn't want to tell other people, even your friends, without your permission.

More people should be like Mitch.

God, how much school has he missed now because of you? You hoped he wasn't struggling with his grades because of your dramatic bullshit.

Taking a deep breath, you told him everything, from the beginning. The year book, the flashbacks, Kenny, Mysterion, Cartman...and what Cartman did.

Junpe had gone quiet. He stayed that way for a few minutes, and the two of you ate in silence. It seemed he didn't know what to say. So, you pushed yourself. "...how have things been with everyone gone?" "Oh! It's, uh, it's been kinda nice, actually. I mean, I miss you guys, of course, but it's nice with the others gone. No douchey Jockstraps to use my poetry to clog the boys toilets, or to throw me into trash cans." Yeah, Junpe wasn't popular. To be fair, none of you were, but unlike Mitch and King, the skinny ginger couldn't really hold his own in a fight, so he took the brunt of the physical bullying. You silently promised yourself to try and do better to defend him once he transferred to South Park.

Meaning..

You would go back to South Park. If only to defend your friends. After all, that's the only thing you're really good for. Taking care of other people.

"Yeah, well..those dickholes will probably try to pull that shit back in South Park, but...I ain't gonna just stand by and let them." You told Junpe with a slight smile. He cocked a brow, digging into his pocket and pulled out some earbuds with his phone. He passed you one and asked, "So you're going back?" "Think So. I can't just..keep running away from all my hot bullshit, now can I?" He laughed softly and shrugged, thoughtfully chewing on a fry as you finally shoved some crab in your mouth. God, you'd missed this food. Most of South Park's tastes like shit. "Hey..remember that year the town got flooded because of that storm?" Junpe asked suddenly, and you nearly choked on your crab leg. "You mean the one where we all got stranded on August's roof for like, two days?" "And his neighbor kept having to toss food to us!" That made you both laugh, and that just continued. You brought up the time you all explored the supposedly haunted playground, then Junpe mentioned the time you guys climbed on the big jungle gym shaped like a dragon after sneaking out one night.

"And this random guy drove up and asked if we had any weed!"

As you both laughed, you glanced down at what was poking your hand and saw that it was a thorn from one of the fresh, vibrant roses that sat on the grave. You picked it up and held it in your hand, smiling softly.

So underneath the concrete sky,
Lucy puts her hand in mine.
She says life's a game we are meant to lose,
Stick by me and I with stick by you.