Creative writing class gets morbid

Second day of school, and so far it was more chill than yesterday.

Thank fuck.

Having just finished second period math you stood in the hallway, your locker before you as you dug around for your creative writing notebook. Your locker, much like your room, wasn't the cleanest place. It was covered in photos taken by Mitch of you and some other random things. Your old cat, a place in the woods you used to frequent. Your old school principal in a unicorn onesie. There was also a signed Chilluminati poster and a poster of Elvira in a swim suit. Because she was hot and her boobs were a gift from any and all gods that exist. As you fished through your locker, you heard the loud sound of Eric 'Literally Hitler' Cartman waddling towards you. You knew why.

You might have accidentally slipped up in your previous class.

Mitch is crushing hard on Butters, which you support to hell and back because it was cute, and of course Eric had to make a homophobic comment. You retorted by bringing up the time Cartman stuck Butters' dick in his mouth.

Something you weren't supposed to know about.

Oops.

"Okay, bitch! Who told you about that!?" Cartman demanded when he was about a foot away. You put your notebook in your bag and closed your locker, flipping him off without looking at him. "Please, you think people don't talk about all the lame shit you did as a kid, fatass?" He narrowed his eyes at you comment. "Who the FUCK told you!? And I'm not fat, I'm big boned!!" "Whatever your mommy tells you to make you feel better, fat boy." You scoffed and then ducked into the crowd of students filling the hallway, officially losing him. You really, really did not want to deal with Cartman's shit this morning. Yesterday had been a shit show and you'd, once again, barely slept. As you made your way through the crowd, someone looped their arm with yours. Glancing over, you were relieved to see it was Karen. Her makeup was a lot better than yesterdays and she'd attempted to, and mostly succeeded, in backcombing her hair. "Good morning, (Y/N)!" She chirped, clearly filling much better after what happened last night. That was a relief. "Morning, Baby bat. You're wonderfully cheerful today." You were happy she hadn't taken after Henrietta and her team of mopey goths. That would be so, so cringe. "Yeah! I just, um.." Karen trailed off, glancing away as she seemed to be thinking of just what exactly she wanted to say. "...Thank you. For yesterday. I'm glad to have someone else here who understands." "Hey, it's no problem Foster kids have to stick together." You ruffled her hair and held the door open for her once you reached class. You headed towards the seats by Vampir and Bloodrayne, and Karen joined you, receiving smiles from the vampires. Good.

She deserved good friends.

"I told my big brother about you." Karen said excitedly and glanced over to the classroom door, which said brother stood in, but you didn't notice. "He wants to meet you!" "I hope that's a good thing." "It is! I told him how cool and nice you are!" You couldn't help but giggle at this, though your giggling stopped when something hit your back. It wasn't hard, but it startled you. Brow furrowed, you turned around and saw a crumpled piece of paper on the ground. Bending over, you picked it up and unballed it. It was a note.

You might as well just off yourself now.

You're an embarrassment to your grandparents.

You never finish anything, you barely pass your classes, and overall you've failed your family in every way.

The world would be better off if you were dead.

Oh ho, Damien and Tiger were trying to play. Could they get anymore pathetic. You turned to look at them, and with the sweetest smile, blew them a kiss before flipping them off. You balled the note back up and chucked it into the trash can by the door, which was picked up by the blonde in the door way. As you pulled out your notebook, a special edition Sophie Lancaster notebook that you'd bought over the summer, the blue eyed boy read the note and shot your two ex friends the dirtiest look. He was forced to move, however, when Flowers entered the classroom. You looked up and noticed her expression was grim and she was wringing her hands. You and Vampir glanced at each other in confusion before facing the front of the class as your teacher spoke. "I'm afraid...we're starting our class with bad news today, children." Even her voice sounded off. Almost like she was afraid. What kind of bad news could she have. "A boy was found dead this morning back in Crested Butte, where some of you had come from. A boy named August Sinclaire."

The news didn't hit you at first. Your brain just couldn't understand what it was hearing.

"August went missing a few years ago, back in the 8th grade. I'm sure of you may have even known him."

Oh you knew August alright. August had been your hero. Your light in the darkness. He used to pal around with you and the guys, and was probably the only one out of him, Damien and Tiger who wasn't a two faced sack of shit. He was the one to tell you to stop giving in to your anger. The one who made you fall in love with life.

Made you fall in love with him.

It was a stupid crush. You weren't even teenagers yet, but you were sure it had been love.

And then one day he just vanished. Were you worried? Yes. But like everyone, you'd assumed he'd just decided to hop a train and bail on the shitty small town you all lived in. Without telling you. It wasn't like him, you knew that, but it was a better alternative to the other possibility.

The possibility that had turned out to be the reality.

You found yourself making eye contact with Damien and Tiger, and for the first time in two years there was no malice behind any of your looks.

Just confusion and sadness.

Flowers told you some more things about it, but you only caught some of it. Found in a a Wytches Elm, funeral Saturday. And then she said you all could take it easy if you needed to. That this was heartbreaking news. That she couldn't expect you all to do any work after being told something so horrible. You didn't say a word, not even when Karen asked you something. You just slid your headphones on, trying to ground yourself with your music.

It didn't help.

I feel numb.
I feel numb in this kingdom.
I feel numb.
I feel numb in this kingdom.

You furrowed your brow as you noticed that water droplets were falling onto your page. You lift a hand and touch your cheek.

Oh shit.

You were crying.

Scooping up your things, you rushed out of the classroom. Flowers doesn't try to stop you. The blonde boy in the hallway calls after you but you ignore him and run into the girls room.