Thank god for this quiet, redneck, mountain town

Lured by our love of heat,

We young men came to your door.And kicked our boots in fuss,Until we could kick no more.I bleed boys, you smiled soft,And we all swaggered off.We howled loud and smashed towns,In place of any loss.

You sat up in your hospital bed, leaning against many, many pillows as you stared out the window at the stars. How was it that Ms. Flowers' whole batshit murder scheme only happened yesterday? It felt like ages ago. It felt like minutes ago.

How strange was it, you found yourself thinking, that the same person who had killed August ended up here. At your school, teaching you, encouraging you, killing your ex friend...then trying to kill you. Sure, you knew that serial killers tend to stay in the same area, but she'd hopped all over Colorado if Jewel's information had been right. Yet still, she came back here. Maybe it was fate, or destiny, or just random bullshit from an unfeeling, uncaring universe.

                     These are the people that you must remember.

A tap on the window brought you from your thoughts and you reached over, turning down the music from your phone. Opening the window and climbing through it was one Mysterion. One Kenny McCormick.

The idiot you'd probably love for the rest of your life. You smiled softly and scooched over as best you could, letting him sit beside you. He pulled off his hood and mask, planting a warm kiss on your temple as he wrapped an arm around you. "How..How are you feeling?" "The drugs are pretty damn great. I almost forgot I was shot and kidnapped." He didn't find you teasing so funny. Kenny sighed and held you close, burying his face in your shoulder. "..I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." "Hey, hey," You shushed him quickly, "It's not your fault. Nobody would have suspected Flowers. And even then....even with everything that's gone on...." You trailed off, trying to find the words as you returned your gaze to the window, watching the stars twinkle in the night sky.

"I'm happy here." You said finally, kissing Kenny's messy blonde hair, "I'm happy in South Park, with my friends, and with you.."

"Well, I'm glad you feel that way." Kenny chuckled softly and gingerly removed the IV in your arm before scooping you up. You clung to him, confused but not arguing as he carried you out the window, up the fire escape and on to the roof. On the roof where everyone was waiting. Mitch, Junpe and Sprinkles, Butters Wendy, Stan, Kyle..everyone.

                   Our knock-kneed fears of age
                               Show themselves in spite
                                 We may be young and clean
                                  Our fists are clenched so tight
                                                 Not so loud are our songs
                                              That you might hear us come
                                                        We lay low, and plot thick
                                                             Deception on our tongues

Life is weird. The past can't be changed, and it can either destroy you or push you to be better. But no matter how painful it is, you've learned something important in this town. No matter how bad things are, there's always the future. You nestled into Kenny's arms, thinking about this. Thinking about how the world is full of people just waiting to meet you, to love you. You just have to be patient. So long as you're willing to be a good person, and keep trying even after you slip up-and you will slip up- things will be okay. You are grateful for these people around you, you are grateful for the people that you must remember, and thank god for this quiet, redneck, mountain town.

                   These are the people that you must remember.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here we are. At the end.

I want to thank everybody who's been along for the ride. I first published this back in 2020, and I didn't even think I'd ever actually finish this fic, let alone that it would be this long. This fic has seen me through so much, a lot of big life changes, a loss of a parent, falling in love with someone and then that relationship ending-and if you're reading this, there are no hard feelings, thank you for still being one of my best friends.

There's a lot of angsty fics out there, and while there has been angst in this one, I didn't want that to be the full like, point of this fic. There's nothing wrong with the angsty, edgy 'my parents hate me and everyone hates me but all the boys love me!' fics, but I wanted to write a story of hope. A story where the pushing point was that things get better if you put in the work and you let people love you. Obviously, this is just a dumb little south park fic, it isn't important and won't change the world, but it's been a big deal for me.

Sadly a lot of side plots and characters got dropped, and I still feel like this fic is only a fraction of what it could be. Which is why I'm already in the process of rewriting it. I dunno when that'll come out. Not any time soon.

Until then, I have other fics to work on, and some original works as well.

Things will be okay. That is a threat.