CHAPTER- 42

Iris POV:

As the clock struck 7 in the evening, I found myself trapped on a bus with Caleb, feeling utterly exasperated.

I had a minor fever, nothing serious, yet Caleb insisted on dragging me onto this bus instead of letting me walk to my apartment.

Last night's events seemed like a distant blur, a disturbing memory I was determined to push aside. 

Someone had aggressively forced me into a game I had no desire to play, and I was relieved it was over.

That was weird.

Yet, despite my resolve to forget, thoughts of Ace lingered in my mind.

Despite telling him to stay away, I couldn't deny the pull he had on me.

I-I am confused.

"Iris," Caleb's voice interrupted my thoughts, jolting me back to the present as we disembarked the bus and headed towards our rooms.

I hurriedly retreated to my own space, eager to escape Caleb's company.

Opening the door, I found Quinn sprawled out on the couch, engrossed in her work.

She didn't ask me about last night, which was a relief. 

Perhaps she hadn't overheard my conversation with Ace after all.

She just gave me medicines and just acted like everything was normal.

I like it when she acts normal.

I quickly changed into a miniskirt and Mickey Mouse shirt, a cheerful ensemble that lifted my spirits. I brought in sales. Very cheap with cartoon designs. Yay!

Ace was nowhere to be seen when I woke up, likely having returned to his mansion.

The embarrassment of our conversation last night weighed heavily on me, feeling as though I had revealed too much.

I headed to the kitchen and began preparing fried rice, the comforting routine helping to ease my mind.

Once the meal was ready, I called Quinn to join me, and she eagerly accepted, settling down to eat with me.

"Your dress looks cute," she remarked, a playful glint in her eye as she teased me about my outfit.

I nod my head, smiling wide.

"I wish I was short too, then I could shop in the kid's section," she murmured.

"I didn't buy this dress in the kids' section," I protested, feeling a tad defensive.

"Well, your dress looks like that," she said, side-eyeing me.

Quinn's teasing continued, but I chose to ignore it as I focused on my food.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, interrupting our dinner. I reluctantly went to answer it, finding Caleb standing there with food and beers in hand.

Glancing back at Quinn with a deadpan expression, I couldn't help but convey my exasperation at the interruption.

"Coming," she yelled.

"You could join us too," Caleb suggested, a warm smile on his face as he extended the invitation.

"No" I murmured and went inside to eat my food.

My mom would kill me if I drank beer and did other illegal activities. Her ghost will haunt me.

I felt Caleb's hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you for last night," he said, sincerely.

I nodded in response, offering a tight smile as I struggled to push aside the unease that lingered within me.