CHAPTER- 90

Iris POV:

I rubbed my face in frustration, feeling the weight of guilt bearing down on me like a heavy burden.

Yesterday! Since yesterday, I've been weaving a web of lies around Ace, and it's starting to suffocate me.

The stupid owner made me work until 8 in the evening yesterday, and when I finally got home, Ace bombarded me with a barrage of questions.

Only I know how I managed him.

But today, oh God! I've found myself tangled in yet another web of lies.

I squeezed my eyes shut, pressing the phone against my ear as I stood by the entrance door, seeking solace in Su's comforting words.

"Su, I feel guilty for lying to him like this again," I confided, my voice heavy with remorse.

"Well, it's okay. Talk to him as soon as possible, then everything will be fine. Just say my friends were also there, so it took time to come," she murmured, her voice a soothing balm to my troubled mind.

"Okay," I murmured back, then ended the call, clutching a shopping bag that Su insisted would serve as evidence of our outing today.

Apparently, Su believes it's proof that I really went shopping with her today as well.

I feel like a horrible person right now.

I would have been home by 4 p.m., but the owner claimed I was late yesterday and made me work until 7 p.m. today. Again!

I hate you, God!

With a heavy heart, I slowly opened the door and walked into the hall, my pulse quickening with every step.

My fingers fumbled to remove my shoes, my mind racing with thoughts of how to rectify the mess I've gotten myself into.

It's okay, Iris. Just talk it out.

"Mini," his voice echoed through the hall, causing a shiver to run down my spine.

I swallowed nervously as Ace emerged from the hallways, his presence commanding the room even in such casual attire, clad only in pants with his boxer peeking out. Oh my...

"Welcome home," he murmured, his embrace enveloping me in warmth and security.

As my fingers loosened around the bag I was holding, it fell to the floor with a soft thud. I closed my eyes, exhaling deeply, hoping to quell the rising tension within me.

"You were with Susan?" he inquired, his brow furrowing slightly.

"Huh... Ahem... Yeah," I responded, nodding my head, attempting to keep my composure.

Did he find out?

"But you're smelling like onions and garlic," he observed, his fingers playing idly with strands of my hair.

I offered him a tight smile, trying to mask my unease, while silently cursing the pungent scent clinging to me.

My leg was particularly sore today, a dull ache reminding me of the long hours I had endured.

"You're late. I was worried about you. You didn't even pick up my call?" he continued, his concern evident as he effortlessly lifted both me and the fallen bag.

"My phone's dead," I murmured, averting my gaze to his neck, unable to meet his eyes, feeling the weight of guilt settling in.

He gave my butt a playful tap, drawing my attention back to him.

"What happened? You look so sad," he murmured, gently placing me on the bed as I collapsed in exhaustion.

"Tired," I murmured back, my gaze fixed on the ceiling, feeling numb and drained of emotion.