Whale of a Tale

On the pirate ship, sailing across the acres, Ember sits on the upper deck of the ship, a small statue in hand and one of his knives in the other. May walks up onto the deck and makes her way over towards Ember. She stands beside him as he continues to widdle. He looks up to her and smiles slightly.

Ember: What can I do you for?

May sat down opposite her.

May: Hey. Are you doing ok?

Ember: Yeah? Why wouldn't I be?

May: You've been distant. Cold. Unsure for a while now.

Ember: Look, I'm just...how are we supposed to beat that, you know?

May gently place her hand on his own, resting it atop of his.

Ember: I just feel like I'm losing everything, you know? My friends, my family, the life I wanted. Sure, I became a huntsman for the thrills. To continue on my father's legacy. But not like this.

May: Well, I hate to tell you this, but life doesn't care what you want. You wanted to become a huntsman, this is what happens.

Ember: Thanks for confirming my regrets.

May: And because of those regrets, you regret meeting me?

Ember: (sighs) Alright, you got me there. Look, I'm just saying, that we may be in over our heads with this one.

May: But that hasn't stopped us before.

Ember: Before doesn't mean, yet.

May huffed a bit. She stood up from Ember and patted him on the head. Ember watched as she walked off to join the rest of the crew. The captain of the ship walks up to Ember, having been hanging back on the stern of the ship. Ember could hear his footsteps and turned back to face the captain.

Ember: Captain Ulthane.

The captain, now known as Ulthane, leaned up against the railings of his ship. His crew is hard at work.

Ulthane: So, what be yee purpose, after all, child?

Ember: Excuse me?

Ulthane: Lad, we all have a meaning here on our acres. Ours is to pillage and explore. We be the villains of the acres. Us and the Demon King. You come to our lands, claim to be a lawman of little law, and demand to see this world with your lass. At the same time, you both keep talkin' on about some terrible witch of a woman and mystical items. And yet, here yee be, talkin' bout loss and fear. Hesitating.

Ember: Your point?

Ulthane: My point is lad, is this: we here in Ever After, we do not hesitate with our purposes. So do yee?

Ember remained still. He placed a hand on his chin, thinking the question over. However, he looked back at Ulthane, determination in his eyes.

Ember: This Demon King. What is he?

Ulthane: Answer my question, and I'll answer yee's.

Ember: I'll answer yours when you answer mine!

Ulthane: I asked mine first!

Ember: First is the worst, second is the best!

Ulthane: Gah!

Ulthane growled slightly as he lurched at Ember. The Faunus does nothing but eyes down the captain. A smug smirk comes from Ember's lips. Ulthane groans and marches with his Kane over and sits down beside Ember at the table. Ulthane rubs his eyes a bit before sharing the story.

Ulthane: Aye. The Demon King, Michel. Legends go he was but a mortal man, coming from the heavens to this world. No one knew of him. Nor did he of us. But he was unlike anything this world had seen. A being of fire, raw, magical power. Of course, he wasn't the only human to arrive here. Years after apparent isolation, more humans arrived.