Humble Beginnings

In Professor Port's classroom, Frederic Scorch sits along with the rest of Team FLME (Flame) at Beacon Academy. In the first row of the seats sits Yang Xiao Long along with the rest of Team RWBY. Fred is up, copying notes when he looks up and hears a loud cough.

Port: Ah, thank you. Mr. Scorch, would you like to demonstrate to the class on how to dispose of the Grimm.

Fred: Uh, sure.

Fred begins to walk down still in his uniform.

Port: Uh, Mr. Scorch, wouldn't you mind your usual attire.

Fred: I'll be fine.

In the front, RWBY spectates.

Ruby: (Whispers to Weiss) I wonder if he can do it like that?

Weiss: He won't. The uniforms restrict us to much for combat.

Up where Fred was sitting, Ember gets up.

Ember: Believe professor, that thing ain't bigger than an Ursai, this is going to be a quick fight.

Yang: (Whispering to herself) Let's see what big guy has in store for us.

Fred activates the Scorch Blades and enters a battle stance. Port opens the cage and a Boarbatusk emerges. Without hesitate, it charges Fred who smirks and activates his blades. As the Grimm passes him, a loud slash is heard. Both opponents stand still, not facing each other.

Weiss: What are doing?

Ruby: Yeah, the fights behind you!

Fred snaps his fingers and the Boarbatusk falls over and dies. While Ruby, Weiss and Blake are in shock, Yang looks on in awe.

Yang: Oh! Mamma likes!

Fred turns and looks directly at Yang. While Yang seems to try to hide herself, Fred smiles and returns to his seat. After he returns, Ember gives him a quick high five to show support.

_________________________________________________________

Team RWBY is now sitting in Dr. Oobleck's classroom. While Weiss is busy note taking, Ruby is doodling (yet again), Blake seems uninterested and Yang is plain out bored. However, after Oobleck asks a question, a response comes from someone who has peeked her interest.

Oobleck: Thank you, Mr. Scorch.

Yang jerks to her right and sees the one she only knows as Scorch sitting, writing down whatever Oobleck is rambling about. Yang looks on in awe again, seemingly entrapped by whatever he's granted him his skills in battle but also in the classroom.

Oobleck: Now, why was the battle successful for the the Faunus?

Fred raises his hand.

Oobleck: (Sighs) Anyone other than, Mr. Scorch?

No one responds.

Oobleck: Very well. Mr. Scorch?

Fred: Faunus contain night vision which prevented a nighttime attack. Something the General never knew, hence his capture.

Oobleck: Correct! (Bell rings) Alright class, remember your reading assignments. And your essays are due at the end of the week.

As everyone leaves, Yang looks to where Fred once was and sees him leaving. Yang gives chase and catches up to Fred.

Yang: Hello!

Fred: Uh, hi?

Yang: So, saw you in both Port and Oobleck's class.