The Breaking Point

Ruby can be heard running and panting as she runs through the forest area of the Origami Acre. She then stops by a tree to catch her breath. She sits down at the base of the trunk with her head to her knees and her arms folded. pops out from her hood. They run out onto her arm.

Little: Ruby? Ruby?

Ruby finally raises her head.

Little: (hopping onto Ruby's knee) What are you doing? Why did you shout at everyone like that?

Ruby doesn't say anything, simply sighing. She looks at her surroundings.

Ruby: Where... am I?

Little: It's okay! I can guide us back. You shouldn't run off, though. You all need to stick together if you wanna go home.

Ruby: (sighs) Why are you still here?

Ruby folds her arms again, and her face has a scowling expression. Little grows concerned.

Little: Uh... what? I promised.

Ruby: I promised to serve Atlas as a Huntress... That I'd keep people safe... That I'd be there for my friends...

Little: But, we can go back and—

Ruby: No!

Ruby stands up and Little hops off her knee to the ground.

Ruby: You don't know what I've done. What I couldn't do! I can't do this! (punches the tree trunk) I could never do this... If you stay with me, you're going to end up dead too... Just. Go. Home...

Little: But you're—

Ruby: I said GO!

Little yelps and quickly crawls away from Ruby. Little watches Ruby march away, their ears flop down in sadness.

________________________________________________________

Elsewhere in the forest area of Origami Acre...

Jaune: (off-screen) Ruby!

Jaune, Juniper, Weiss, Blake, Yang, May, and Ember are searching for Ruby.

Weiss: Ruby. Ruby...?

Fred flies in from above and lands down in front of them. Yang runs up to him.

Yang: Anything?

Fred: Nothing.

Fred grips his head a bit. Echos bounce around. Yang places a hand on his shoulder as Fred kneels down a bit. Ember and May watch.

Michel: I can sense it! They're here! (Laughs manically)

Fred shakes his head and snaps back out of it. Yang and Fred look at one another for a brief moment, and Fred nods. Before Yang can step away, he pulls her back slightly.

Fred: You doing ok?

Yang: I'm fine.

Fred: You sure. It's your sister.

Yang: I know, I know. It's just...How can she just run off like that?!

Blake: She was clearly upset.

Yang: That wasn't upset! That was... Ugh! She could've talked to us!

Weiss: Maybe she didn't feel like she could... Ruby has always been the one to get us through the hard times. We say things like "We believe in you", "We can count on you". I know we mean well, but...

Jaune feels guilty over what he said to Ruby back then. Juniper becomes sad, and Jaune comforts them with a pat.

Yang: It's not like we're asking her to be perfect.