Of Solitude and Self

Summer: And on the wind, Alyx heard one more question... What are you?

Summer closes "The Girl Who Fell Through the World" book and looks at young Ruby Rose and Yang Xiao Long, fast asleep.

Summer: I love you... just the way you are. (stands up and places the book along with her brooch on top of the drawer) Always...

Summer turns off the lights and leaves the room. After heading downstairs, she looks outside the window at the nighttime forests of Patch.

Taiyang: (walks down the stairs) It's not like you rush off on a mission in the middle of the night.

Summer: You know how Ozpin gets. Mystery after mystery.

Taiyang: And when it turns out to be yet another run-of-the-mill patrol, it'll be...

Both: (imitating Ozpin) "I always prefer discretion."

The two share a laugh, before Taiyang looks down frowning. Summer rubs his cheek and comforts him.

Summer: I'll be back soon.

The two then hug each other.

Taiyang: I know.

In the forest of Patch, Summer walks carrying Sundered Rose. Raven Branwen jumps and lands on the ground.

Raven: Nobody suspects anything?

Summer: No. (takes off her hood) They think it's a typical mission.

Raven: Summer Rose telling lies... first time for everything. (smirks, but falters) And... Uh... What about... You're just going to leave them?

Evie: Says you.

From around another tree, Evie Ignis, mother of Ember, adoptive mother of Fred, steps out. She folds her arms, sternly looking at Raven.

Summer: Evie, how are the boys?

Evie: Fine. Although they could be better. School life and all that.

Raven: Do we have time for social talk? I thought we had a mission.

Summer shrugs and steps past Raven.

Summer: (walks past Raven) If I do this right... then there's nothing to worry about. Trust me.

Raven: (sighs) Let's get it over with, I guess.

Raven opens a Kindred Link portal with Omen. Summer enters, followed by Evie, and then Raven, sheathing Omen. The portal disappears. After seeing a glimpse of Summer's memories, Ruby stares at Sundered Rose in the glass case.

Ruby: What? What was that? She... She lied. She left with Raven. Why would she...?

Blacksmith: Who knows why people keep the secrets they do. Maybe you're not the only one who has felt the weight of other's expectations. Like Alyx, like your mother.

Ruby pushes down the case containing Sundered Rose. The case is broken with shattered glass.

Ruby: Are you just trying to tell me that it's useless? That I shouldn't even try? Is that the big lesson I'm supposed to learn? Just... give up? (drops on her knees; her reflection appears in the shattered glass pieces) Become someone else?

Blacksmith approaches Ruby and stands behind her in the broken reflection.

Blacksmith: Is that what I'm telling you?

_________________________________________________________

Elsewhere, Jaune regains his consciousness and finds himself in the smoky mental plane. He stands up. His form flickers between his current self and his past self.