Rising Tides

Slowly, Fred's eyes adjust to the sun light creeping into his bedroom that he shares with Yang and Weiss. He releases a small yawn and smacks his lips and peers down to see Yang with her eyes wide open. He softly begins to tickle her sides which she giggles slightly at. Yang begins to shake a bit, signifying she would like to get up.

Fred releases her from his hold as she sits up on the bed. She looks back and sees Fred smiling at her, giving her a sympathetic look. She smiles down at him and gets up and leaves the room.

Fred looks over to see Weiss also getting up. She glances at him and gives a friendly wake before turning the other way and giving her a thumbs up.

Weiss laughs to herself and gets up and leaves. Fred also leaves the room after a few seconds after Weiss does. When he enters the kitchen, Weiss pours three mugs of coffee. She sees Fred enter and pours his own cup.

Weiss: Here.

Fred: Oh, uh, thanks, Weiss.

Weiss: Hm. So-uh...that- (gestures to Fred's tattoo)

Fred: Oh, uh, right. (laughs) I kinda regret getting this.

Weiss: Missed her that much, huh?

Fred: (Chuckles) I guess.

Weiss: So, the whole, Guardian of Flame thing, why don't you just beat Salem now?

Fred: I'm no where near a full Guardian abilities yet. I can put up a fight, sure, but I wouldn't want to try anything to risky.

Weiss: I understand.

From the upstairs, Oscar walks into the kitchen and yawns.

Fred: Hey, Oscar.

Oscar: Huh, oh, hey.

Weiss: Coffee?

Oscar: Huh? Oh, no, I'm good.

Oscar proceeded to walk towards the back door.

Weiss: Where are you off to?

Oscar: I got a garden off to the side yard. Just going to go pick some stuff real quick.

Fred: Got any mizuna?

Oscar: Yeah.

Fred: Oscar and I got breakfast handled. (To Oscar) Let's go pick some stuff.

Fred and Oscar leave for the side door and proceed to pick out the mizuna within the garden. Along with some squash, tomatoes and other plants. The two walk in and begin to cook for the entire group. As they are cooking, a bag comes from the back door. Yang storms inside and towards the stairs, back to her room. Fred doesn't say anything but follows her upstairs.

Back in her room, Yang sits alone on a bed looking at the "New Friends!" photo of Team RWBY. She hears a knock on the door and quickly puts the photo away.

Yang: Yeah?

The door opens but Yang doesn't look up to see who entered.

Yang: Look Ruby, I really don't want to talk about it, okay? Can you just leave me alone for a bit?

Yang looks up, and is surprised that it was not Ruby, but Fred who is at the doorway.

Yang: Oh. Hey Fred. Did you need something?

Fred says nothing. He closes the door behind him and sits on the bed opposite to Yang.

Yang: (sigh) I know she's my teammate, but I'm not just going to change my mind. I'm sorry, I just... I don't think you know what it's like to be left. You have a giant family, a basic war to fight and more love than you realize. I didn't have any of that. My mom left me. Ruby's mom left too. Tai was always busy with school and Ruby couldn't even talk yet. I had to pick up the pieces. I had to keep things together. Alone. (pause) Fred, if you have something to say, then say it.