Transfer of Power

Winter, Qrow, and Isaac moved down slowly with an elevator. The three stayed quiet as the platform moved down slowly. Winter hand her hands behind her back, looking forward stoically. Qrow to her left and Isaac to her right. Qrow glances from the wall over to her. He reaches out a little to speak to her but the door opens and she steps forward. Qrow slowly lowers his hand and Isaac glances over to him. He rolls his eyes and walks out, leaving Qrow in the elevator. Swiftly, Qrow steps out and follows them.

Winter does not say a word as she marches over to a hospital room. She sighs and glances inside to see Fria. Qrow hangs back after catching up to Isaac. Isaac glances over to Qrow and gestures to Winter.

Isaac: Hasn't stopped you before.

Qrow: I don't think it's the best moment for me to-

Isaac looked over to him with an annoyed scowl. Qrow sighed and rubbed the back of his head and walked over to Winter. He didn't say anything initially and just stood there. Qrow nodded a little before glancing over at her.

Qrow: Ready for this?

Winter: Of course. It is my duty.

Qrow: Winter.

Winter took a deep breath and turned back to Qrow. She had a look of both fear and understanding coating her face. He nodded to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. Winter took a deep breath and nodded again. She moved over to the door and glanced back to Qrow.

Winter: You know...despite everything, you're not half bad.

Qrow smiled a little.

Winter: Doesn't make you half good.

Qrow chuckled a little as she walked into the room. Fria's Maiden eye flares fade away.

Winter: Are you okay?

Fria: I had a job to do. I was supposed to protect the power of the maiden until I was ready. I worry I may have lost track of time. But you can tell James that I'm ready now.

Winter: Ma'am, if you do that...

Fria: I'll be gone.

She looks down at Winter and smiles.

Fria: I know I have a hard time remembering, but I remember that.

Winter stares at her sadly. Fria lowers to the floor, and Winter catches her and gently leans her back. Fria shivers, and Winter looks around at the thick layer of ice that now coats the room. Fria looks up at Winter.

Fria: What's your name?

Winter: It's Winter, ma'am.

Fria smiles at her.

Fria: Winter. Are you the one?

Winter gains a look of realization, then looks over her shoulder at the hole in the ceiling, which is now frozen over. She looks down in uncertainty.

Winter: I...I am. I know it.

Fria smiled warmly and slowly closed her eyes.

Fria: Then...I am free...

Winter held her close as Fria's limps became slack. A white aura slowly moves from Fria's lips and eyelids over and up to Winter. From outside the hospital room, Qrow and Isaac watch. Isaac glances over to Qrow as the powers fully transfer over to Winter. Winter slowly sets Fria's body down onto the bed and takes a step back.

She takes a deep breath and steps back a little. Winter fell down onto a chair and quickly Qrow ran into the room. He placed his hands on her shoulder as Winter took breath after breath. Isaac turned around and leaned against the wall and went to his earpiece.