Chapter 5

Deena was sleeping peacefully, consumed by her dream. She was in a boxing ring with Sam, and there was no referee. As she was about to land her first punch, a loud guitar riff rung through Deena's head and woke up her instantly.

She screamed into her pillow.

"Fucking Josh!" she shouted. She looked over at her alarm.

6:50AM.

A wave of irritation ran through her body. All she wanted to do was sleep after the night she had, but Josh's music was literally preventing her from any peace whatsoever. She woke up, still in her clothes from last night and got changed. She went into the kitchen and ate some pizza that was left over from last night. It was cold, but Deena was too tired to care.

She grabbed her car keys and decided to stick with the same plan as yesterday. She was too irritated at Josh for waking her up early twice now to be in the house any longer. She opened her door and drove to school and parked in her usual spot. She head towards the gymnasium and found Kate by herself rummaging through old pom poms.

"Hey Kate" said Deena.

Kate looked up at her with heavy and dark bags under her eyes.

"Hey Dee" she groaned. She rubbed her temples with her fingers and then rubbed her eyes.

"Had that much fun last night, did you?" Deena teased.

Kate let out a small laugh, then followed it up with a long yawn. Deena began to walk to the bleachers until Kate remembered something.

"Wait, Dee!"

"Hmm?"

"I overheard some of the girls talking, apparently you tried to kiss and touch up on Sam? Look, I don't believe it for a second. She's just a petty bitch, but I thought I'd let you know what they're saying." Kate yawned.

Deena sighed. It was too early for this. She just looked at Kate.

"Dee?" Kate asked concerningly.

"Kate, that's not what happened. Fiona was there last night and she was trying to talk to me when Sam came up to her and tried to talk to her but then noticed I was there. She then called me a raging "lesbo" and I got all up in her face and swore at her." Deena finished recounting the events of last night.

Kate just stared at her in silence. Then she let out a loud laugh, and she kept laughing hard. She couldn't stop, and had to cross her legs so she wouldn't pee herself.

"What's so funny, Kate?" Deena pried.

"It's just that- oh my god. Of course that's what happened. Damn I wish I saw that" Kate said, wiping tears away from her eye.

Deena looked at her and they just smiled at each other. Kate suddenly stopped smiling.

"I can't believe that bitch called you a slur. I'm going to end her today." Kate said.

"Can't wait" Deena replied and she walked away to go sit on the bleachers and catch up on the homework she didn't do last night.

The girls all came out of the locker room in unison and lined up next to each other, ready to start the choreography. It was quiet until one of the cheer leaders saw Deena and shouted something to Kate.

"What the hell is that lesbo perv doing here? Watching us?" said the girl. Kate walked up to her and just stood there staring her down.

"Kate?"

Kate didn't respond. Instead she smiled and took a step back.
"You're cut from the game this week."

There was a gasp from everyone, including Sam, who was standing a few girls away.