Chapter 34

Deena woke up the next morning with a smile on her face. She didn't even know she was smiling so hard until Kate asked her if she was possessed. Sam gave a light chuckle at Kate's comment, which made Deena smile even harder.

Three more days to go.

Deena and Kate headed off to the mess hall for breakfast, finding Simon sitting alone at a table, with his head in his hands.

"Hey Si, what's up?" Kate asked as she put down her tray.

Simon just let out a groan. "I'm so tired.."

"Didn't you sleep?" Deena asked him.

"No.. the stupid counsellors thought some couple were boning so they interrogated all of the guys in our cabin last night" he groaned, head still in his hands.

Deena felt herself go red at what Simon said, so she shovelled the cereal into her mouth to disguise the fact she was blushing. She hadn't told Kate and Simon anything yet, and she didn't know if she wanted to. Simon would laugh and tell her that he told her so, but Kate wouldn't react the same way. A part of Deena felt very guilty after everything they had done for Deena, and comforted her through everything because of Sam. It felt like she was betraying them. She also felt like she was betraying herself. She didn't know if she was still mad at Sam. I mean, did she still have a right to be mad after what they did?

These thoughts plagued Deena's mind all throughout the day. Luckily, she was in a camp group with Kate and Simon so the activities were bearable. While the day was excruciatingly average for Deena, there was a free hour between their last activity and lunch. Kate, Simon and Deena were just going to head to the mess hall to talk together, when they saw Sam and her friends leaving their cabin, giggling. Deena looked at Sam, expecting a smile or some form of eye contact - but Sam shunned her. Her friends noticed that Deena was looking at Sam.

"What the fuck are you looking at, Sappho?" Sheila shouted at her.

"Your next victim?" another girl shouted.

"Sam you should start running now, I heard she is secretly a man, which means she can run fast." Sheila said again.

Deena looked desperately to Sam, hoping that she would defend her or tell them to stop calling her names or humiliating her. Sam apologised constantly yesterday, and then she kissed Deena. Sam was silent, avoiding eye contact with Deena. Kate was shouting stuff at them, but Deena was too focused on the fact that Sam wasn't even trying to defend her. Deena just walked off as Kate started squaring up against Sheila. They both yelled for Deena to come back but she didn't hear them. She had tears in her eyes as she walked away.

She opened the door, which seemed heavier than usual. As she did, a bucket of red paint was rigged on top so whoever opened the door would get covered in paint that looked like blood. It drenched Deena, and covered every inch of her. She could barely hear what was happening as the paint was in her ears, and she couldn't see as her eyes were covered. She turned around and faced the opposite way. She could faintly hear Kate and Simon shouting, and Sheila's ugly voice shrieking.

Deena just walked into the cabin, leaving a red trail on the floor and went to their connected bathroom. She looked in the mirror, ripped mounds of toilet paper of the roll and wiped her eyes. They were filled with tears - but these weren't sad or upset. It was rage. Deena lost control of her body, and she ran back outside now being able to see. As she walked up the small hill to where Kate was seen shoving Sheila, Deena appeared and didn't stop to think. She grabbed onto Sheila's collar and shoved her to the ground.

"FUCK YOU" Deena shouted. Sheila's friends were arguing with Simon, and Sam was hidden behind them at the back.

"She's got her eyes set on you, Sammy. I'd watch out if I were you" Sheila said from the ground. Deena gave this moment to Sam to possibly redeem herself, but she watched her just stand there and laugh with her friends.