Chapter 46

It was now Friday morning, and Deena woke up to the scent of Sam again. The pillow she had been holding so close to herself was the last piece of Sam that was with her. Kate and Simon had woken up early, and Deena could her their muffled conversation through the wall. She couldn't bring herself out of bed to get ready for school. She heard them call her name, but all Deena could do was hug the pillow and try not to cry into it.

Kate burst through her door shouting at her for making them late until she saw Deena facing the wall, sobbing quietly into the pillow.

"Dee, what's wrong?" she asked, sitting down on the edge of her bed and softly laying her hand on Deena's arm.

Deena sighed and sat up slowly, tears slowly falling from her eyes.

"My sheets, pillows and everything smells like her. I see her everywhere, Kate. I can't escape her..." she said softly.

Kate sat there, gently patting her thigh until her expression changed. She stood up and looked down at Deena.

"Okay, that's it. No more mourning that skank. Help me take your sheets off." she said, pulling the blanket off Deena's bed and separating the sheet from it.

"Why?" Deena asked, still hugging the pillow.

"Because, we are going to wash these. A physical and symbolic removal of Sam in your life." she continued as she ripped the pillow out of Deena's hands. She went to go fight for it back, but she knew this was what hat to be done. Deena slowly crawled out of bed and helped Kate by taking the sheet off her mattress. When Deena's bed was completely bare, her and Kate hobbled to the washroom to put them in the washing machine. When Deena opened the machine she realised that Sam had left her shirt and bra in there.

Deena pulled them out slowly, they were still wet. She shoved the sheets and pillow cases into the machine and set them on a cold wash. She just held Sam's clothes, and looked at Kate.

"Do we have time to put them in the drier?" Deena asked her.

Kate wanted to tell her no, but Deena was already fragile enough as it is. She nodded, and told her only for a few minutes, and Deena put Sam's clothes in the drier and set it to ten minutes. As the clothes were drying, Deena got ready in her band clothes.

When she finished getting ready, she accidentally interrupted Josh and Kate in the kitchen, and when Deena entered it, they both jumped away and were blushing hard. Deena just ignored this and poured herself a cold cup of water, waiting for Simon to finish using the bathroom. The machine for the drier started dinging, and Deena picked out the clothes and put them in a box. She handed it to Kate.

"Will you give this to Sam at the game tonight?" she asked as she pushed the box into Kate's hands.

Kate lifted her hands up. "I love you, Dee. But no way am I getting involved in this right now. I have to focus on cheer."

Deena sighed. "Well, I don't want to give it to her.."

"You might just have to. Think about it as a final "fuck off" to her." Kate joked. Her joke made Josh laugh a lot, but he stopped when Deena shot him a weird look.

"I thought washing the sheets was the final "fuck off"?" Deena snarked.

"Don't be a pussy, you're the ladykiller. Sam is just some pathetic girl who didn't know how lucky she was." Simon said, emerging out of the bathroom.

Deena rolled her eyes, and she picked up her keys off the counter, her backpack and the box Sam's belongings were in. The four of them left the house and Deena drove them to school.

When they arrived, they walked in together. Josh left them at the gates to find his friend, and he waved goodbye only to Kate. He gave the rest of them a half-smile.