Chapter 36

Their last day at Camp Nightwing whizzed by, like a blur. Deena had made a promise to herself and to both Kate and Simon that she has officially sworn off Samantha Fraser. She wouldn't look at her, talk to her, or even THINK about her. They brought their pinkies in and interlaced them with each other as they made the promise. Kate and Simon also swore to make sure Deena never broke her promise to them.

The last day of Camp included freetime, where they could pick what activities they wanted to do. Kate and Simon really wanted to paint, so they went to the arts and crafts cabin and spent the day there. There was no one else there when they arrived, which left smiles on all three of their faces.

As Kate and Simon were busy painting their own canvases, Deena's sketch she was working on was going no where. She had the pencil in her hand, and it was moving, but not in any recognisable pattern. She was too caught up in her own thoughts - remembering that this is the same place where her and Sam had their first kiss. In an instant the memories of that night replayed in her mind, the angst and sexual tension that was lingering in the air during their fight, how they both wanted each other so desperately. Deena remembered the way Sam moaned breathily, and how she sounded when she was trying to keep quiet. She couldn't stop thinking about the smoothness of her skin, or the smile that Sam gave her when they pulled away from their kiss to stare into each other's eyes. That smile. With the prettiest pink lips, and the crinkles forming in the corner of her eyes - the way her blue eyes shine and whisper sweet sounds directly to the core of Deena's soul...

"Deena? Hellooo?!" said Kate, waving her hand in her face.

Deena looked up from her drawing which was just a bunch of scribbles now, looking confused.

"Hmm?" she said.

"Dude." said Simon.

Deena raised an eyebrow at him.

"You're totally thinking about Sam right now, aren't you?" he teased.

Deena felt her cheeks go red. "I am NOT!" she stated.

Simon started giggling while Kate just stared at her.

"Kate I literally wasn't." Deena insisted.

"Tell that to your face" Simon joked, referring to her cheeks that were almost as red as the paint he was using in his artistic capture of how he would murder Sam. Deena shrugged them both off as they chuckled at her, and she returned back to her sketch.

They spent the rest of the day in the art room gossiping, talking about joking around with each other. It was a peaceful moment in a world of chaos that had so consumed Deena's life recently. It lasted until dinner, where they had to gather at the mess hall to eat one last dinner at Camp Nightwing before returning to their cabins for the last time. Even though Deena was enjoying the time off school and not having to stress over homework, she missed her bed. She missed her shower and just the overall comfort of her own home.

After dinner, Kate and Deena returned to their cabin, and walked past Sam and her friend's beds like they did not exist. Deena and Kate just sat on Kate's bed, Deena sitting near the edge facing her. They sat like that and talked for the rest of the night, showing each other their current favourite mixtapes or the risky scenes from the books they were currently reading. Throughout the entire day, but especially now, Deena could feel the back of her head being burned through by a pair of eyes. She could just tell that Sam was staring at her, but she continued to pretend that she never existed.

When Sam woke up that morning, the itchiness and swollen state of the dozens of bug bites she got had settled, and now she just looked like she had a fight with a cat and lost. She barely got any sleep, and when she did finally drift off to sleep after the incident, she cried herself into it. She had spent that entire night quietly sobbing to herself beneath her sheets after what happened. She was angry, but she knew she had no right to be angry. Or did she? She just missed Deena so much. She knew she couldn't tell her friends what happened, so she just told them that her and Jackson had a fight and she fell over. They seemed to buy it, but they didn't really care enough about Sam to think twice about it.