Chapter 21

TW: Mentions of abuse

Deena didn't know what to say or how to start.

"You know when she took the blanket off her legs?"

Both Kate and Simon nodded.

"Well, before she put it back on, I saw her legs."

"Okay...." Kate said.

"No, let me finish. Her legs were covered in bruises. When I say covered, I mean there was more bruise then there was skin." said Deena.

That sentence left them in an awkward silence. Deena decided to put her theory forth.

"I think it was because of her mother."

"Wait wait, you think Sam's mother is abusing her?"

"Yes."

Another awkward silence.

"Why?" asked Simon.

"Well, when she took the blanket off she must not have realised what was showing, until she noticed that I was looking at her legs, and then she immediately covered them back up again. You guys also said she was very worried about her mother finding out. So worried that she didn't want to go through with the plan. It makes sense." said Deena.

Kate thought for a moment and then spoke. "Well her mother is anally retentive and literally insane so I'll give you that. But why would she do that to Sam?"

Deena had an answer, and she felt like it was right. "Because, just hear me out. Everyone knows that Sam's mother hates Shadysiders. I don't think it stops there - I think she is also crazy homophobic and when she heard that Sam helped me, someone who is very obviously not straight, she went psycho on her."

"Kate, Dee has a point. Remember when her mother threatened to take your family to court to try and get you deported just because you brought traditional Filipino food to the Sunnyvale charity against animal cruelty? I mean you were literally born here..." said Simon.

Kate had to give it to them. They were right.

"You're both right. Her mother would totally do this."

Deena was relieved Kate was able to agree with them. "I also think that because her mother is homophobic and clearly psycho, she feels pressured to have the same beliefs and-"

"Woah, Dee what are you saying?" Kate said sounding shocked. Deena shot her a confused look.

"Yeah. I would agree with you if Sam was just your average highschool bully, but this girl has tried to ruin you life, Dee. And she almost succeeded. Do you really want to justify that?" said Simon. Kate and Deena were shocked at his comment, because Simon never talked like that. He was usually always the one making jokes, so him becoming serious confused Deena even more.

"Look, I'm not saying that what she's done to me is fine because of her mother, it's not. But I feel like it originally was, like the comments she made about my dad, and the name calling. But she made the choice to take it further. I'm just feeling really conflicted right now.

There was another period of silence while they each though to themselves, seeing how to go about this in the best way possible. Deena decided to ask something to see if it could make the situation any clearer.

"Do you think if my dad was around and not a drunk, and if my mother was still alive, that I'd be as bitchy as I am today?"

This made the three of them really stop to think. The answer that they all came to was yes.