Chapter 26

She turned around as quick as she could, just to be facing a sweet-looking blonde girl. Deena sniffed, and her nose was filled with a vanilla scent. It was Sam, except in her dream she looked kind.

Sam approached her, and stopped a metre away from her. She just smiled at Deena. Sam was wearing a Sunnyvale High cheerleading uniform. It was tight and fit her in all the right places. Her skirt was short, and Sam saw Deena looking at her uniform.

"You like what you see, Johnson?"

Deena gulped. She kept staring at Sam. Her hair was out, and it was slightly messy. She looked into Sam's eyes, and their gaze locked onto each other.

"What is this?" asked Deena.

"What do you think it is?" Sam asked her. Her eyelids lowered so she was looking at Deena seductively. She bit her lip as she looked Deena up and down.

"I think this is my subconscious taking the piss out of me. I hate you."

Sam laughed. She walked over to the bleachers, and dragged Deena with her by her hand. Sam sat down, and Deena sat next to her.

"You don't really believe that, do you?" flirted Sam.

"Of course I do. You bullied me, you humiliated me, you treated me like shit. You almost got me arrested for fuck's sake." shouted Deena.

Sam just continued laughing.

"What's so fucking funny about this, Fraser?'

"That wasn't really me. I mean it was, but you know that I only say that stuff to win the approval of my mother. You know how psycho she is too.."

"That's not an excuse for more than half the shit you did though."

"I know, but you know how shitty my friends are, how much they pressure me. Do you think I would've said anything if they weren't there pressuring me?"

"How come you insulted my father and my entire family twice? You were alone. No one was forcing you to say shit."

"That was the influence of my mother. Look, Deena, I know it's not an excuse but I want you to try and have some understanding that I'm not as bad as I seem. I know you want to believe that too, so why don't you?"

"Because you are as bad as you seem, Sam. I don't think you know how serious some of the shit you have done to me is, and I haven't even known you for a month."

Sam was quiet now. She looked down at her feet.

"I'm really not, Deena. You began to think that yourself when you came into my room the other day and saw how much we have in common...

"Having similar interests doesn't excuse you from being a homophobic bitch!"

"Do you really think I'm homophobic?"

"Are you being serious or are you stupid too?"

"Deena, seriously. You're smart, think about what happened last night. There is tension between us."

"No there isn't!"

"Yes, there is. You know there is. And tension isn't only formed by one person, it takes two."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm just asking you to try and look beyond what you see on a surface level. Don't doubt your instincts when you notice me looking at you, or getting flustered around you, or defensive when you ask about my sexuality..."

Deena was silent. She didn't know what to think now. Was she really mad at Sam? She had to be, someone doesn't get let off the hook just because their mother or friends are terrible people.

"You've never even tried to apologise to me for anything, Sam"

"Have you ever given me the chance to? Without Kate or Simon there?"

Deena bit the inside of her cheek and thought again. She was right, Deena and her friends had been so focused on revenge and berating Sam, they never gave her the opportunity to try to apologise. Does Sam even deserve to speak to Deena like that?

"You don't just apologise and get let off the hook though, Sam. Even if you apologised, which will probably be a bullshit one anyways, I couldn't bring myself to forgive you because of how terrible you've been to me. I hate you, Sam."

Sam didn't reply to this. She just looked at Deena's eyes, and then her lips. Deena noticed this and felt her cheeks turn a slight red. Sam smiled at her.

"How much do you hate me?" asked Sam, leaning in closer to Deena. She asked this in a whisper, and let her eyes rest on Deena's lips.

"So much" replied Deena, leaning in closer to Sam. She looked at Sam and saw her staring at her lips, and then her eyes. That same eye contact they made at the party, that they made every time they fought felt different. It felt real. Sam moved her hand and rested it on the back of Deena's neck.

Deena didn't know what was happening, but she didn't want it to stop. She let Sam put her hand on the back of her neck, and she shuffled in closer. They were so close to each other. Sam rested her forehead against Deena's, both of their eyes shut. Sam's other hand held the back of Deena's neck.

They sat there for a few seconds, their foreheads touching. Deena opened her eyes, and at that moment, so did Sam. They looked at each other, and then at each other's lips. Sam shifted her head so that it was only centimetres away from Deena's lips. Their noses were touching. Sam smiled at Deena, and lifted her legs so that she was straddling Deena's lap. She wrapped her legs around Deena.

Deena felt her legs tighten around her. She rested her hands on Sam's hips. She bit her lip as she looked into Sam's eyes. While holding that eye contact, Sam closed her eyes and leaned in to kiss Deena.

Just as their lips were about to meet -

Tied to a wheel, my fingers got to feel
Bleeding through a tourniquet smile

Deena woke up with a sharp gasp. She immediately sat up, and realised she was sweating. She ran her fingers through her hair, realising what she just dreamt about.

"JOSH!" Deena shouted angrily. His music had woken her up just as she was about to...

No. She told herself she's glad that he woke her up. It was just a dream, it wasn't real. That's what she told herself for the rest of the day. She didn't think she believed it.