Chapter 63

They gave another great shake before the darkness slowly disappeared as Deena's eyes fluttered open. When her eye sight adjusted and became less blurry she was met with Simon's face only inches away from her own. She wanted to yell but she could barely move her body. Her vision was still blurry and her consciousness was fading in and out. The sounds of her name being shouted were loud but then were drowned out by the heavy feeling of Deena's eyelids. She just wanted to sleep.

"DEENA!" she heard a female voice shout.

Was it Kate? Why was Kate interrupting her nap?

She felt her body get shaken again.

"Stop, I'm trying to sleep" Deena thought she murmured.

Her eyelids felt heavy, so she let them fall and she drifted off into sleep again. She was met with more blackness as she thought she slept. She was still aware of her body, even though it felt numb. There were alarms she thought, but they just must've been apart of her dream. People's voices shouting...

Why couldn't they just let Deena sleep in peace? She had a rough day all she wanted to do was rest. She felt herself get woken up from her nap a few times, her eyes fluttering open. Every time they opened she was in a different location. The second time they opened, while blurry, Deena saw a lot of red and blue. She smelled the flowers that her mother planted outside their front yard before she died.

Her mother..

She just remembered the encounter with her mother. In whatever it was, Deena is telling herself it was just a dream. She spoke to her, but it wasn't really her. Maybe she was right, that Sam may change physically and aspects of her personality might change, but she will always have that same problem. Her shame, the guilt she feels for liking girls. For liking Deena especially. Everything about their relationship went against Sam's morals.

She felt something prick her arm and she groaned at the feeling of it. What were these people doing to her? Why couldn't she just fucking sleep! Was it a crime now to want to nap before doing your homework? Deena drifted out of consciousness again.

Sam...

Sam was the reason she was in this mess. Okay, that isn't fair, Deena thought to herself. She isn't the direct reason but Deena wouldn't be having her naps interrupted if Sam hadn't yelled at her. Why did she yell at her? All Deena has ever done is love her. They were making out only hours before, what changed in a few hours? It was so unlike Sam that Deena wanted to give her every benefit of the doubt.

"We're losing her!" a foreign voice cried.

That was unfamiliar. You're losing who? What are you losing? Whatever. Not my circus not my monkeys, Deena thought. She was just trying to nap and whoever had lost something needed to mind their own business and be a little quieter about it. People are trying to sleep.

"DEENA! Please wake up!" another voice cried.