Chapter 44

Deena woke up to the sound of her alarm the next morning. Her music was still playing loudly, but she exhausted herself from crying so much that she slept through it. She shut off the music, and experienced a few seconds of peace before she realised what had happened. She began crying again, but she told herself to pull it together. She reluctantly got ready, and then came across their assignment sitting on the floor. It was finished, but there were stains all over it. Deena looked at it, and she knew it was Sam's tears. She bit her lip, and rolled up the poster before putting a band around it. She got in her car, and drove to school.

The first thing she did when she saw Kate and Simon was pull them both in for a tight hug. She held them for a few seconds before loosening her grip. Her eye bags were heavy, and her eyes were still puffy.

"That was very unlike you, Dee." Simon said cautiously.

"Yeah..you hate hugs. Are you okay?" Kate asked her, concerned.

Deena couldn't respond to that question. A burning sensation began to form in her throat as she tried to form an answer.

"Dee?" Simon asked. Him and Kate realised something was wrong, and pulled her in for another hug. Deena began sobbing into their hug. They went to a private place behind their school so that Deena could talk about what happened.

She sighed as she looked at them both. They had concerned expressions on their face.

"Tell us what's wrong" Kate said.

Deena swallowed loudly. "Sam is what's wrong" she said, rolling her eyes.

"I take it that the assignment didn't go well?" Kate chuckled.

"No the assignment is fine, it's finished. It's other things that didn't go well.." Deena replied.

Simon was hanging onto her every word, until he looked at Deena and realised something.

"Umm..Dee?" he asked her.

"What, Si?" she replied.

"What's that on your neck?" he said, his eyes shifting to the purple and red marks that were on Deena's neck.

Deena's eyes widened and she began blushing when she realised what he was talking about. Kate and Simon noticed her blushing.

"Deena tell me you didn't.." she warned.

"Oh she totally did. I knew it!" Simon joked, holding his hand out for a high five, but Deena didn't give him one.

"I don't know how it happened, okay! Josh just left, and Sam kept giving me these looks, and she kept staring at me.."

"I bet she was" Simon chuckled, winking at Deena.

"Then she spilled juice all over her shirt, and she had to get changed, and she asked me to undo her bra, and it just happened."

"In your washing room?" Kate asked, shocked.

"No, no. That's just when she took her clothes off, the first time happened on my bed."

"Remind me to never sit on your bed again" Simon said.

Kate gave her a look. "What do you mean, the "first time"?" she asked Deena.

Deena blushed even harder.

"Oh my god, you totally did it again, didn't you?" Simon said. He was beaming with pride.

Deena put her head into her hands out of embarrassment. She could feel both Kate's judgement and Simon's pride.

"Also on the bed? Or this time was it Josh's bed?" he enquired.