Chapter 29

Naturally, when an event you really don't want to go is at the end of the week, the days go by so fast. This is what happened with Deena. Every day that passed was another day closer to Friday morning, when they would leave her confined to a space with Sam and five of her friends. At least she had Kate, she tried to tell herself.

After learning that Sam and Jackson were together she completely ignored her. Every look that Sam would give her, Deena would not return it. At some points, Deena completely forgot Sam existed until she saw one of the cheerleaders or footballers in the hall. She didn't look at Sam once this week, she didn't acknowledge her existence, and every time Kate or Simon told Deena that Sam was staring at her, she would switch the topic and not return the stare.

Sam felt hurt by Deena purposely ignoring her and pretending that she didn't exist. She just wanted to look into Deena's eyes one more time...

She shook her head. She didn't care, and neither did Deena. That was it. Until Friday morning.

Friday morning approached faster than ever. Deena's alarm woke her up at 5:30 because they had to be at school before 6:30, and she was going to talk to school with Kate and Simon. It was cold, it was early and Deena had barely gotten any sleep the night before.

Kate and Simon knocked on her door at 5:50 and they set off to walk to school together. They knew Deena was upset because she had to share a cabin with Sam and all of her friends, so they tried their best to cheer her up.

They got to school, got their names ticked off, and got on the bright yellow bus. They sat at the very back of the bus. Deena took the seat by the window. She brought her headset and an array of cassettes to entertain her on the eight hour drive. She put her headphones on just as Sam got on the bus with Jackson and her friends.

They sat towards the back, Sam being a mere 3 seats away on the other side of the bus. Since she was sitting with her friends, Sam was facing Deena. They made eye contact for a split second before Jackson got up and blocked Sam's view of Deena to put his bag in the overhead. He sat back down, and forced sat to sit on his leg so his friend could sit next to them.

Deena just scoffed at Sam sitting on his leg, turned the volume to max to drown the sound of her obnoxious friends out, and looked out the window. And so began the drive to night wing.