Chapter 19

The past few hours for Deena have felt surreal. She just sat, tangled in her bedsheets, drifting in and out of sleep, with an endless stream of tears falling from her eyes. She wanted nothing more than to feel the warmth of her mother's embrace, and to hear her voice just once more, telling her it was going to be okay.

Even though she was at home for a few hours, her perspective changed as if she had lived lifetimes of agony. She didn't want to speak about Sam, she didn't want to speak to her, she didn't want to see her. She wasn't angry, or upset, she was numb. She felt as if she were forced into an emotional limbo, because no matter what she did, Sam just continued to make her life worse. She was better of completely ignoring her existence.

Her stream of consciousness was disrupted by what sounded like slamming on a door. It frightened her, and she jumped out of bed. She pulled back the curtain a little, and was relieved to see it was Kate and Simon.

She unlocked the doors and before she could get a word out Kate pulled her in for a hug. It was so tight she felt like she couldn't breathe. This is how her mother used to hug her. She let herself be consumed with Kate's warmth and embrace. She felt Simon's big arms wrap around them, and they just stood there for minutes hugging. She could hear Kate crying, and Simon sniffling. This worried her a lot, but she pushed her worries aside and just enjoyed this moment.

When they pulled apart, Kate motioned for her to sit on the couch. This worried her even more. She shut the doors and went and sat down on a couch by herself, facing Kate and Simon who were sitting together. They didn't look worried, and this confused Deena.

Kate took a big sigh before she spoke.

"You're going to be okay."

Deena was silent. She didn't know what this meant.

"What do you mean?" she asked with a hint of worry in her voice.

Simon smiled.

"She means that you're seriously going to be okay. Everything is okay, in fact everythings fucking great, Dee!" he chirped. Kate hit him on the arm.

"I wanted to tell her you idiot!" she said.

Deena chuckled at them beginning to bicker again. She missed this. Kate realised that they were going off track and coughed so that her and Simon were serious again.

"Dee."

"Kate just tell me" said Deena.

"Alright fine, ruin the moment will you" said Simon.

Kate smiled then spoke again.

"We sorted it out. The investigation is being ended today, and the charges against you will be dropped within 24 hours." Kate smiled.

Deena sat there with no expression. She didn't know whether to believe them or not. How could they have possibly gotten the charges revoked within three hours? She was only suspended three hours ago, she was only in that office as they told her she was being investigated for rape three hours ago. If they were joking, this was really fucking cruel of them.

"Dee?" Kate pried.

"Do you think it's funny to lie to me about this?" Deena said.

Kate and Simon were confused and gave her a look.

"No, Dee. We're serious.." Simon said.

"Really? How did you get the charges dropped then?" Deena scoffed.

Kate was in disbelief that Deena didn't believe them. She decided to tell Deena the full story.

"Alright, first thing I did was go find Sam, and I got her alone. I intimidated her, as usual, did my thing. I forced her to drive Simon and I over to Fiona's house."