Chapter 56

Sam and Deena looked at each other in shock. Sam brought her finger to Deena's lips to try and shush her. They listened as Sheila knocked on the windows again. The blinds were down and the door was locked so she couldn't see in.

"Sammy? Peter is wondering where you are..." the voice said again from behind the blinds.

"What do we do?" Deena asked Sam in an anxious whisper. 

Sam sat there on the table for a few moments while she thought. First she needed a cover story. She would try and blame it on her excitement or something like that. Sheila wasn't the most critical thinker so Sam didn't need to think of a thorough excuse. 

How would they sneak Deena out without Sheila noticing?

"Deena, I'm going to go meet her. Go hide underneath the teacher's desk so she doesn't see you." Sam whispered back to her.

"What if she comes around?" Deena asked.

"She won't, I'll make sure of it" Sam assured her. Deena nodded and walked silently over to the desk and crouched underneath it. She was out of sight. Sam took a moment to flatten her hair when she remembered the hickeys that Deena left on her neck. She couldn't worry about that now, she was taking too long to appear. There were a few more knocks before Sam walked to the door and opened it.

"Oh thank gosh you were in here!" Sheila exclaimed while pulling Sam into a tight hug. 

Sam felt uncomfortable but Sheila took a while to let her go.

"Why were you in here?" Sheila asked her. Sam felt sweat beginning to form on her forehead but she convinced herself to stay calm.

"Oh just worried about Prom that's all.." Sam said anxiously.

"Well what's there to be worried about? You're going with Peter and he's such a great guy. You're really lucky that he chose you" Sheila said in a sardonic tone. Sam could tell that this was a swipe at her because Sheila has been in love with Peter since they met. They've flirted and hooked up a few times but every time Sheila asked him out he would always make excuses or decline.

"Just about Jackson and stuff like my dress.." Sam told her.

"Why are you worried about Jackson?" Sheila asked.

Sam felt like she was being interrogated. Both her and Deena were getting impatient, but Sam had to try and not be suspicious to not alert Sheila of anything.

"He doesn't know I'm with Peter now and when he sees us together at Prom I'm afraid he's going to do something" Sam tried to explain but Sheila didn't look convinced.

"Like what?" Sheila asked.

"Look, I don't know. He's got a short-temper and has always had something against Peter. This would just be an excuse to do something about it." Sam said.

"I don't think Jackson cares enough about you to do anything. Don't flatter yourself, Sammy!" Sheila said. 

Sam rolled her eyes at this comment. She knew Sheila was just jealous that both Jackson and Peter wanted to be with Sam but no one wanted to be with Sheila. Sam didn't take it personally.

"Yeah, well, he might. That's why I'm worried." Sam said. Just as she said this the bell rung for their next period. 

"Wanna walk me to Biology, Sammy?" Sheila asked her, holding out her arm so that Sam would link hers with it. Sam took a deep breath knowing she would see Deena soon and linked arms with Sheila. The two of them walked off to their next class.

Deena heard the entire conversation, and as Sam was talking about Jackson and Peter, she couldn't help but get extremely jealous. She was now seething with anger, and for once it wasn't directed at Sam. She waited a few minutes until she knew they were gone for good, and when she heard the sounds of other people walking to line up near the science blocks. Deena creeped outside and ran to her locker to grab her things. She was running late to the next period, but it wasn't unusual for her to be late.