Chapter 47

Sam had followed Deena around the school, just to find her sitting on the floor in the dark playing with a lighter. Sam was breathing fast from running as she tried to catch up with Deena. She slowly approached Deena, and this made Deena wary. She jumped up, so that they were both standing metres apart.

Deena looked into Sam's face for the first time in days. It was like how she remembered it, but instead of feeling affection, it was only anger. Sam looked into Deena's eyes for the first time in days, and she could already tell the tension between them had changed. They hadn't spoken to each other since their fight. Deena could hear Sam gulping loudly. Sam flashed her a smile, but Deena didn't return it.

They stood there in an awkward silence for a bit longer. Deena then decided to break the silence. She kicked the box to Sam's feet because she didn't want to approach her anymore.

Sam looked down at the box and she kneeled down. She lifted the lid to see her bra and shirt folded neatly in it, along with the mixtape her and Deena listened to the night of their fight. Sam was confused and she looked up.

"Is this my stuff?"

"Ding, ding, ding." Deena said.

Sam looked down at the box and back up at Deena. Sam's eyes were now filling up with tears as she watched Deena turn around to walk away. She closed the box, picked it up and stood again.

"Deena, can we talk please?" Sam asked her.

Deena stopped walking, but didn't dare to turn around to face Sam.

"We're not friends, Sam. Don't think that you need to talk to me ever again." she replied coldly.

Sam's breathing hitched as Deena made this comment. She couldn't let her walk away, she would say anything if it meant being able to talk to Deena just once more.

"Then can we talk as ex-friends, ex-lovers, or whatever you want to call it?" Sam said. She flinched slightly at using the word "ex-lovers" because they never said they loved each other, and they had only hooked up four times.

That question made Deena turn around swiftly.

"You seriously think you can say that what we had made us "lovers"?" she asked, half-amused.

"What would you call it then?" Sam asked, getting irritated now.

"Hmm. Being used, maybe. Or, experimented on. Or! Wait for this one it's really the best. Being humiliated!" Deena explained.

"I wasn't using you, Deena." Sam stated calmly.

"Really? You weren't?" Deena asked.

"No, I wasn't."

Deena was silent for a bit and then began laughing after a few seconds. "I don't believe you, at all. You were using me to figure yourself out. And you were using me to get laid."

"That's not what happened. I really like you, Deena and-"

"You don't treat people you "like" like that, Sam!" Deena cried. She used her fingers as air quotations when she said "like".

"I know! And I'm so sorry for what I said. It's just that it's hard for me to be open about... well, us. And to your friends it's a stretch but to tell mine - oof that would be wel-"

"Social suicide. That's what you think it'll be like."

"No - well. Kind of."

"Nice to know you care about your popularity more than my own fucking feelings and integrity." Deena scoffed, and began to turn away again.

"It's more my safety!" she shouted. Deena turned around again, but with a confused expression on her face this time.

"Your safety?"