Chapter 78

Deena's beautiful dream about Sam was disrupted by her waking abruptly to pain in her back, where her injuries were. She woke up with a yelp, which also woke Sam.

"Deena! Are you okay?" Sam shouted the second she heard Deena's voice.

Even though she had just been asleep, the sound of Deena's pain in her dream felt too real. When she woke up a second later to see Deena bending over and clutching her back her heart dropped.

"Yeah, it's just my back" Deena croaked in reply.

Sam immediately got up and slowly took Deena's shirt off to look at the blood soaked bandages. Sam's heart ached and she bit her cheeks, swallowing the flaming lump in her throat as she watched the woman she loved be in so much pain because of her.

"What's wrong? Do we need to see a doctor?" Sam asked concerned.

Deena shook her head with her eyes closed for a few moments as she waited for the pain to settle down, but it didn't.

"I haven't changed my bandages in over a day..." Deena told Sam.

"DEENA!" Sam shouted.

Deena's comment made Sam twice as worried about Deena.

"Why didn't you tell me? We have bandages here" Sam said in a softer voice as she peeled back one of the bandages.

She only lifted the edge slightly, and this earned a wince from Deena. Sam's chest tightened as she watched Deena squirm under her light touch. It was so light, only something so fragile and broken could be hurt by it.

Deena turned her body slowly so she was looking up to Sam.

"You looked to peaceful asleep. I couldn't bring myself to disturb you, so I just went back to bed" Deena admitted with a smile, but Sam didn't return this.

"As cute as that is, you should've woken me. Your health is more important than my sleep" Sam sighed.

"Disagree. If you saw how cute you were, you'd disagree too" Deena said with a wink.

Sam chuckled. "I'll have to take your word for it" she smiled as she bent down to kiss Deena gently on the lips. 

Deena embraced the gentle kiss and sighed when Sam pulled away. This made Sam smile to herself. She held out her arm.

"Let's go then, to the bathroom" she told Deena.

Deena lifted her arm out and Sam helped her to the bathroom.

Sam brought in a chair for Deena to sit on. She was sitting backwards, facing the spine of the chair as Sam kneeled down to remove the bandages. She removed them slow, admiring every inch of Deena's skin. 

There was a comfortable and intimate silence shared between the two of them as Sam slowly unravelled Deena. Sam made sure to be extra careful. When she had taken all the bandages off, Deena's bare back was staring at Sam. Sam could see all the puncture wounds and scars. She got an alcohol wipe and lightly ran it around the wounds, cleaning the blood and plasma that had leaked. 

She then got many cotton balls and a disinfectant meant specifically for deep wounds like this.

"This is going to hurt..." Sam whispered, leaning into Deena's ear.

Deena didn't respond, but she put her head down to bite on the chair. 

As Sam was about to put the absorbed cotton on Deena's wound, she felt her freehand get held by Deena. She blushed at the feeling of their hands touching. Deena took Sam's hand into hers and held it tightly. Sam breathed heavily as she cleaned the first wound. Deena yelped in pain, and this caused Sam's eyes to well up. She hated hurting Deena, even if it was something necessary. After all that had happened between them, she promised that she would never let Deena hurt because of her anymore. She would devote herself entirely to making sure Deena felt nothing less than cared for and loved. She moved onto the next few wounds, and while Deena continued wincing, it got less and less as she got used to it and the wounds got more superficial. As Sam finished cleaning Deena's wounds, she got the bandages out.