Chapter 77

What she said provoked a reaction from the crowd and from Peter.

"Sam? What are you doing?" Peter whispered angrily to her but Sam ignored him.

She looked into the crowd to see people whispering and gasping at what Sam said. They were hanging onto her every word. It was now or never.

"I lied. This isn't authentic, this isn't even real. Maybe I can't tell the difference, but I know when somethings fake. Every relationship I've ever had in my entire life has been fake" Sam explained.

"Except one" she added, now looking to Deena.

Deena's jaw was dropped, and she was staring at Sam so intently.

"This one relationship I've had changed my perspective on everything, but it's because of my inability to be authentic or be real with myself that I lost it. Maybe forever" Sam said.

Peter kept whispering things angrily at her, but she ignored him and proceeded to continue with her monologue.

"It wasn't with Peter, or Jackson, or Michael or anyone you might have thought. It was with someone who seemed such a polar opposite from myself that I never even prepared myself for falling as deeply as I did for them" Sam continued to say, holding the microphone far out of Peter's reach.

Every single person in the hall was watching Sam. No one was whispering, not a word was being spoken. They paid their attention in full to Sam.

"When I lost this person, I lost a part of myself. It was the first part of myself I ever genuinely liked, because it was real. I didn't have to hide who I was or pretend to like some douchebag athlete. It was genuine love." Sam admitted.

"I've realised that even though I'm my own person, I'm not nearly as complete as I was when I was with them. They brought life to me, they made me see who I was and love myself for it. They cared" Sam was beginning to tear up but her voice stayed strong.

"So, even if this doesn't work, I'll be somewhat satisfied with myself knowing I tried to be honest and real with myself." Sam said.

She was silent for a few seconds before turning her gaze back to Deena, locking their eye contact and not breaking it even for a second.

"Deena Johnson"

There was a loud gasp from many parts of the hall. Peter was completely silent. Everyone in the crowd turned to face Deena.

Deena had never been in so much shock in her entire life. She felt like she was dreaming with every word Sam said. She listened and absorbed every world she told everyone, and when she mentioned Deena by name her stomach dropped. It dropped because this was the last thing that Deena had ever expected Sam to do.

"When I was at Sunnyvale, I was running from myself. When I acted like I hated you, or when I was dating guys I was running away from you. You were the literal embodiment of everything real and honest, and I was the embodiment of everything that was not. I was afraid of this, everyone knowing. But now I feel if they didn't know about the beauty of what we shared the world would be missing a significant chapter of pure love between two people" Sam said, she was now crying but the tears were silent.

"I was scared of this, of us. Of me. Every single second we spent together felt like the first time I've ever felt like myself years. In seventeen years I never felt truly like myself until I met you. I never knew what that felt like, but when we broke up I lost some part of myself you worked so hard to build...

"You make me feel like me. I love you, Deena Johnson." Sam said.

The hall was silent and almost every single person's jaw was dropped, including Deena's. She was genuinely speechless for the first time ever in her life.