Chapter 62

Everything was white for a while until Deena opened her eyes. It was still white, except she had her eyes open. Deena sat up from her bed with no pain whatsoever. She looked down to see that there was no bed, and that she was actually standing.

The entire space around her was a continuous white. She stood there, confused, and looked around. No matter how far she walked, she could not escape the whiteness.

Was this real? Was it just a dream?

Deena just stood there in a silence. She held out her own hands and looked at them. She flipped them over and looked at her palm. It looked normal. She ran her hands up her back and she didn't feel any blood nor open wounds. She was wearing the same clothes as earlier before.

She began walking aimlessly around this space. She didn't know where she was, what this was, or if she was even alive. She could still think to herself which was a good sign.

She felt like she was walking for hours. She changed directions every now and then, or would sprint for as long as she could until she got tired and needed a break. She sat down, she laid down, she got back up, walked in circles. She did everything she could to try and understand what this place was.

She sighed to herself the longer she stayed there. She sat down on the floor and laid down on her back that had no wounds. She was practically unblemished, like a sacrificial lamb. The floor was cold. She could feel the icy temperature through her clothes. That was a good sign - she could still feel. She still had her own thoughts and memories as well. She went through the events of that day, thinking it would offer some insight into what was happening to her.

She remembered the way Sam dismissed her then shouted at her. She felt her heart break all over again. It was like she was still in that moment. She shut her eyes, and with knowing that there was no one to judge her she just screamed.

It wasn't anything in particular. It was just a string of loud noises that expressed how broken and hurt Deena was because of Sam, but also because of how tired she was of Sam's bipolar behaviour.

Deena convinced herself she was just in a dream. It was time to wake up now, please wake up. She tried so hard to wake herself up, but to no avail she did not leave this place. She just laid there, back against the cold floor, staring into the light abyss that surrounded her. She didn't even know if if this place had walls or a roof. She could not tell.

Maybe Deena was dead? Maybe she lost so much blood that she passed out and died. This seemed like a reach, even for Deena. But she had never had a dream like this, so it was possible. It's not like she was going anywhere else so she genuinely considered the possibility that she was dead. That no one had found her and she bled out alone. The thought of Deena dying alone upset her, she wished Kate or Simon had been there with her. Even Josh, but she wouldn't want to put him through that. Kate and Simon.

In the distraction of the white abyss Deena had forgotten how much she missed her best friends. She missed her brother too but above all she missed Kate and Simon. If she was dead she would never see them again. Or maybe in a few decades she would.

"Why does my life suck so bad, even in death" Deena groaned to herself.

"Who says you're dead?" a soothing voice chimed.

Deena sat up instantly and turned her head to where the voice came from. She was in shock to see who it was. It was her mother. She was dressed in her favourite clothes, that were handed down to her from her own grandmother.

"Mom?" Deena asked.

"Yes, honey" her mom said.

Deena got up and instantly ran towards her and pulled her in for a hug. The woman just laughed softly and held Deena to her. Deena felt herself begin sobbing into her chest as she held her so tightly.