Chapter 40

Josh appeared in Deena's doorway. Sam saw her expression drop into annoyance.

"What do you want, dillweed?" she groaned.

"I just came to let you know I'm gonna stay the night at Jared's tonight, asshole. He's having loads of pizza delivered too. Cya." he said briefly. He then walked straight out of the door as Deena shouted at him to be safe.

When they heard the front door shut, they both knew it was just them in the house. Alone. There was an awkward silence for a few seconds, both of them far apart after almost kissing. Sam couldn't look at Deena, she was feeling too embarrassed.

Deena felt the same way, and couldn't bring herself to make eye contact with her. The silence was also unbearable.

"How about some music?" Deena asked softly.

"Yeah. That'd be great." replied Sam instantly. Her breathing was still heavy.

Deena turned around and opened her draw full of cassettes. She was going through them all, when she came across her favourite one. It was just entirely The Pixies. She needed good music to get her mind off what happened. She put the tape in the stereo and hit play. All I think about is Now came on first.

As the lyrics began, Deena saw Sam lipsyncing to the words of the song.

"No way." she said.

Sam looked confused, and finally met her eyes again.

"What?!" she asked confused.

"Samantha Fussy Fraser likes The Pixies?" Deena teased, with a slight tone of curiosity.

Sam rolled her eyes at the name Deena used, which made them both chuckle.

"I do. Why is that so surprising?" Sam asked her.

Deena laughed. "Why would it NOT be surprising? I mean you're like the most un-Pixieish person ever. I thought you'd listen to Ace of Base or something"

"I'm actually offended you think that I would willingly listen to Ace of Base. That is LOW, Deena." Sam joked. The two of them laughed, and as their laughs died out, and the song continued playing, they were looking into each other's eyes again. Sam couldn't take the tension, and the hotness between her legs couldn't take it either.

"So... you and your brother are alone?"

Deena was shocked at this question, and it brought her out of her state of admiring Sam's lips again.

"Yeah, most of the time. On weekend Dad comes home, but during the week he stays at the camps they have set up at the construction site." she replied.

Sam was surprised, but also felt a grin growing on her face knowing that they were alone. Sam saw that Deena was staring at her again, and she didn't know what to do. She started shuffling around, doing a small dance to the beat of the song to distract her.

"What - What are you doing?" Deena asked.

"I'm dancing." Sam replied nonchalantly.

"No.. I've seen dancing. What you are doing is definitely NOT a dance." teased Deena. She began laughing, and she shuffled in a little closer to Sam. Sam stopped doing whatever she was doing and gave in to Deena's teasing.

She was laughing too. As she lifted her arm to run her fingers through her own hair, her arm knocked over a cup of juice that was sitting on the edge of Deena's bed frame. The juice went all over Sam's shirt, and she let out a slight scream as it did. It was cold, and Sam really liked that shirt.

"Oh. My. God." said Deena. She was laughing hysterically, and at this point was on her back, gripping her stomach from how hard she was laughing.

"This isn't funny, Deena! It's cold and sticky and now I'm going to smell like fucking juice!" Sam shrieked. This comment made Deena laugh even harder. Sam groaned. She gave Deena an angry look, and as her lying died down, she stood up.