Chapter 18

The following minutes felt longer than ever. There was a thick and very obvious tension in the car. Sam kept her focus on the steering wheel, not daring to look at either Kate or Simon. Kate was figuring out the next steps after this to ensure Deena's safety, as well as how they should fuck with Sam for doing this to Deena. Simon was tired, he was falling asleep but stopped before he did because he needed to make sure Sam didn't drive off or do anything stupid.

The car was silent, but this silence was deafening. It was bold, it was awkward and it was loud. Sam's mind was all over the place. She didn't know why she felt so vulnerable, or why she was starting to feel bad for Deena. She was beginning to question her own motives. If Fiona didn't come back within the next ten minutes she felt as if she would've done something stupid. She was more on edge with every second that passed, and she could feel Kate's anger radiating off of her.

Time continued passing slow until they saw the redhead appear from the station's doors. She had an expressionless face and walked towards the car, opened the back door and sat next to Simon. They all turned to look at her and she gave them a nod.

"It's done."

Kate and Simon could both feel a massive weight fall off their shoulders. Sam was so relieved but she didn't dare express her relief.

"What now, Kate?" asked Simon.

She thought for a moment to see if there was anything else she could do to help Deena. She turned to Sam.

"Actually, we're not done." she said.

Sam felt her stare and her anxiety levels rose so fast she could feel her knees go weak. Simon and Fiona both gave her a confused look.

"You told Sheriff Goode that the athletes were behind it, right?" Kate asked Fiona.

"Yes, I told him that it was the footballers in particular." replied Fiona.

Kate nodded and turned back to Sam

"Sam you need to go and recant the statement you gave."

"No, I can't do that my m-"

"I could not give less of a fuck. You need to do this. Seeing as you were the key witness you need to recant your statement and imply that Peter Cherchin forced you to lie."

Sam tried to argue back but was shut down by Kate instantly. Sam thought to herself for a moment, and she realised that there was nothing else she could do to end this investigation other than recant her statement, which she knows her mother will be very angered by.

"Okay." she gave in.

She got up out of the car and walked into the station. She was met instantly with an overwhelming amount of noise and bright lights. Phones were ringing in every corner, and people were rushing around with stacks of papers in their arms. She searched the place for Sheriff Goode, but could not find him. She felt defeated until the feeling of a hand resting on her shoulder appeared and she turned around and it was him.

"Sam? What are you doing here?"

She thought to herself if this is really what she wanted to do. If she did this, no one else could know about it, otherwise her status will be ruined.

"Uhm.. I'm here to recant the statement I made about Deena Johnson"

Sheriff Goode gave her a look that she could not decipher.

"What's the reason for that?"

"I know I'm the only witness but I'm just not sure of what I saw. I mean it was night time it could've be-"

"Sam, it's okay. You're feeling bad about what could happen to Deena, but it's okay. Do not stand in the way of justice. You must be feeling similar to "survivor's guilt". Shadysiders like Deena must be dealt with to protect the welfare of society." he said with a stern voice.