Chapter 24

Sam's mind was all over the place. She felt ashamed of herself for watching the two girls kiss, but felt even more ashamed at how fascinated she was by it. She could still hear her heart beating loud, and her breathing was fast. She stole someone's drink off the table and chugged it. Sam was a massive lightweight so one cup of mystery alcohol was enough to get her wasted.

She could feel the effects almost immediately. That sense of shame she felt instantly disappeared. She looked back over to the kitchen only to meet Deena's eyes. She felt a stabbing pain in her heart. She needed a distraction.

The song that was playing was not distracted enough so she went up to the DJ.

"Change the song please." she asked.

"Any requests?"

Sam stood there for a moment trying to rack her drunk brain to think of what song would be most distracting for her right now.

"Have you got any Nine Inch Nails?"

Deena was in disbelief that she had actually made out with a girl at a party. She hadn't kissed anyone since Fiona, if you don't count the time her and Simon accidentally kissed on the lips. She missed the brunette as soon as she left, and she was proud of herself for getting her number. But the second she saw Sam watching her, the thoughts of the brunette were drowned out by questions and curiosity.

She knows she couldn't prove it, but Deena couldn't shake the feeling that Sam was watching her kiss the girl. Deena then smiled to herself, feeling even prouder. She didn't know why she did, or why she cared that there was a possibility she could have made Sam jealous. Jealous? She laughed at herself for even thinking that Sam was anything but straight.

She watched as Sam walked away avoiding eye contact with her. Deena searched for her in the crowds, and for a while couldn't find her until she saw her talking to the DJ. Deena felt relieved because the music that was playing at that moment was very bad. She walked back over to the main room to find Kate and Simon talking to a group of girls, and she joined in on the conversation. She positioned herself so that she stood with her back facing the rest of the house, so she could see what Sam was doing. She was talking to the DJ, then the DJ nodded and she smiled. She gave him a $10 bill and at that moment the song changed. She recognised the song immediately by the drum beat. She would've thought that Sam would be the last person on Earth to listen to the Nine Inch Nails, let alone this provocative of a song.

She looked back over to the DJ set and Sam was missing. Deena scanned the room, but to no avail could not find Sam.

Sam paid the DJ a $10 bill so he would change the song just once for Sam. She needed this song to force Deena out of her mind. It was one of the hottest and sexiest songs she had ever heard, and if this didn't get Deena out of her mind, she wouldn't know what will. The song started playing, and the mood of the room shifted instantly. It was hot, and it was heavy, and the dancing switched from innocent and fun to desperation and sexual.

Sam was trying to find another drink, when she stumbled into the chest of a much larger, taller guy. It was Jackson, the footballer she made out with at Sheila's party.

"Woah there, Fraser. Wouldn't want me to spill any of this on those sexy legs." he chuckled.

The feeling of discomfort that she felt last time with him returned, and in response Sam batted her eyelashes at him. She reached for his cup:

"Do you mind if I finish this? I need some sort of a distraction..." she flirted, looking him up and down. He gave her a smile that sent shivers down her spine when he gave her the drink. She drank it in seconds, and it was so strong she made a face. He laughed at her, but didn't move. She felt any shame or any worry she had melt away as the alcohol went down her throat.