Chapter 31

Deena shut her eyes and took a deep inhale to calm herself down. She opened her eyes to see Sam was already staring at her. She felt a bit of Deja vu from Saturday night.

"Go on then" urged Deena.

"You don't make anything easy, do you?" snarked Sam.

"Are you gonna fucking tell me or what?" Deena shouted again.

"Please just stop swearing and yelling at me, Deena. I'm trying to be serious with you for a moment."

Deena stopped talking, and made a gesture with her hands asking Sam to continue talking.

"I wanted to thank you for what you did, even if you didn't do it for me. It wasn't my choice to be with Jackson, he blackmailed me with some polaroid's he took of me when I was asleep. He took off my clothes while I was sleeping and took naked pictures of me and threatened he would make copies and deliver them to everyone's letterbox if I didn't go out with him." she said.

Deena felt a wave of regret after hearing this. She had ignored Sam all week, and had shouted and yelled at her, even though it wasn't her fault. She felt really bad for her.

"I'm sorry, Sam. That's really fucked up." Deena said in a quiet voice.

"I know. I don't like him at all like that."

Deena stood there for a moment debating if she wanted to say what she really wanted to. She decided she did, she had nothing to lose. "How come you made out with him in front of everybody at your party then?"

This question shocked Sam. She remembered the eye contact they made while she kissed him. She knew Deena knew. Deena knew Sam knew. But no one had the guts to bring it up.

"Uhm, well. Just needed a distraction yknow..."

"From what?" Deena pried. She was now watching Sam intently to see what she would say next. She saw Sam's face go red.

"You know, school and stuff..." she gulped.

"Is that it?" Deena asked, moving closer to Sam. Sam felt her heartbeat speed up when Deena moved closer to her.

"I also wanted to say, that uhm." Sam was so flustered that she forgot what she wanted to say. Deena's gaze was making her stumble on her words, and making her knees feel weak.

"Yes, Sam? What did else did you want to say?" asked Deena, moving even closer to Sam now. They were only inches apart from each other. Deena felt her insides light on fire the closer she got to Sam.

"That uhm. Well. I'm sorry" she said. She bit the inside of her cheek as she looked at Deena. Sam's eyebrows were arched because of how worried she was.

Deena was surprised to her this. She exhaled and ran her fingers through her hair. She was going to speak again but Sam cut her off.

"I know I should have said it earlier, but I'm saying it now. I'm sorry Deena. I really am. For everything. All of it. I'm so so sorry." Sam pleaded.

Deena just put her head in her hands because she didn't know what to do. "Deena?" asked Sam.

"I don't know how to feel right now, Sam. I just don't know."

"Talk to me about it, Deena. Please, I really want you to know I'm serious about this." she said.

Deena rubbed her temples with her finger and thumb. She was so conflicted. She didn't trust Sam at all, but they were going to be stuck in this room for another hour until the game was over.

"It's just that, what you did, Sam. Was so fucked up. You almost ruined me. I don't mean me getting arrested, but I felt hopeless. I felt vulnerable. I hated myself because of your hate." said Deena.