Chapter 49

It was a hard wake up that morning for Deena as she had only managed to get a few hours of sleep. The bags under her eyes were heavy, but it was made up for when Kate told Deena she had freshly brewed coffee waiting for her in the kitchen. She groaned as she got up, and she dropped her head down on the counter as she waited for her cup to be filled. Her head felt heavy, and when she lifted the cup to her lips, it was hot. The slight burn she got from it on her tongue woke her up, causing her to flinch. Kate and Josh giggled a little at Deena's injury before she shot them both a look that caused an instant silence.

Deena remembered she had PE/Gym half way through the day, so she brought a change of clothes with her as well as some shampoo, body wash and conditioner because she refused to sit through four more hours of school covered in her own sweat.

When everyone was ready, they sat down at the island in the kitchen, finishing their breakfast and/or their coffee before they had to go. The sounds of forks scraping the plate and syrup being poured was all that filled the room until Kate remembered something.

"Oh my gosh, I totally forgot to tell you guys" she buzzed.

"What?" Deena and Simon both replied with, hanging on to Kate's every word.

"Zoe Lennam is having a massive birthday party tonight."

"Really?" Simon asked.

"She invited me, and I think this opportunity is too good to let go. We need a break from how much work we've been getting" Kate continued.

"Is there a theme?" Simon piped up again.

"Guys you know I hate parties." Deena added to their conversation that seemed to only involve the two of them.

"Yeah but this one is going to be amazing" Simon said with a twinkle in his eyes.

"You said that about the last one, and do you remember what happened?" Deena reminded them, about Sam teasing Deena while she was making out with Jackson.

"Okay yeah but this one will be so massive that you won't even realise that Sam or any of her friends are there" Kate said half-amused.

"How massive?" asked Deena, her eyes widening.

"I heard the numbers are in the hundreds!" Kate responded.

This answer left both Deena and Simon shocked. Simon's jaw was on the floor, and Deena's stomach dropped. Those were numbers for a concert, not a birthday party.

"We have to go now." Simon insisted.

"I just don't know if I'm ready to see Sam again and I-" Deena said worriedly.

"Deena, if the numbers are in the hundreds I think you'd be more likely to see Uma Thurman before Sam." Kate interrupted her sarcastically.

"And if we don't go, we'll be the only three people out of the rest of this stupid town that didn't experience that party." Simon added.

Deena sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. Simon and Kate were watching her every move to see what her answer would be.

"Fine." she said, rolling her eyes. This answer led to both Simon and Kate doing a little celebration. Deena laughed at their dances, and told them to get in the car before they were late.

They arrived at school like normal, Josh leaving them at the entrance to go meet his friends. The three of them walked into school with big smiles on their faces. As they were walking down the hall, Deena saw Sam talking with Peter out of the corner of her eye. She saw that Sam also noticed Deena, and she was watched Deena walk by. Deena turned her head to Kate and Simon, engaging in their conversation as they walked by the two of them, Deena completely ignoring Sam. This left a frown on Sam's face, and caused her to disassociate in the middle of her conversation with Peter.