Forgetfulness

Katie was just about to fall asleep for the first time in over 24 hours. She hadn't been able to shut her mind off after watching her girlfriend of over a year jump up for a header and get shoved from behind into the goal post. She saw Caitlin go unconscious before even hitting in the ground. Since that moment Caitlin was carried off the field and rushed to the hospital, Katie following right behind not caring she was still in full kit or that Jonas now had to make two substitutions. That was hours ago, now Katie finally showered and changed into spare clothes brought to her by someone, maybe Jordan, was about to fall asleep until she felt Caitlin's hand twitch in her own.
She watched her eyes finally blink open.
"Caitlin? Are you okay? Can you hear me?" Katie rambled while pressing the doctor call button.

"Uh yeah I can hear you. My head hurts. A lot. But I'm sorry who are you?" Caitlin asked confused looking at this random girl in front of her who was clearly crying and was holding her hand. She immediately tensed up and Katie noticed making her release Caitlin's hand and back herself into her chair. Fortunately for her, the doctor came in and took over to prevent Katie from having to explain to her girlfriend who she was.
"Hi Caitlin I'm your doctor. Do you know where you are?"
"I'm guessing the hospital, but based off your accents I'm guessing I'm not in Portland?  How did I get out of Portland?"
Katie couldn't breathe. Portland? Caitlin thought she was in Portland? That was five years ago.

"No caitlin you're not in Portland. You are in London." The confusion on her face was real. After answering a series of questions confirming she knew who she was, knew her hometown, and her family, they were able to confirm that her memories ended five years ago while she was still playing for the Portland Thorns.
Caitlin looked towards Katie again and Katie finally answered her previous question.
"I'm Katie. I'm a teammate of yours here in London." She said because of how tense Caitlin got earlier when she didn't know her.
Caitlin once again was really confused as to what Katie meant by teammate in London.

The doctor immediately asked Katie to step outside for a minute to give Caitlin a chance to calm down.
"I know this is hard Katie, but it's important to let her gain her memories back on her own time."
"What if she never remembers?" Katie asked almost crying at the thought.
"Well the fact she remembers this much already is a good sign. Brain injuries are tricky. It could just take a little while for her brain to finish healing and supply the remaining memories to her. For now stick to facts that don't involve emotions. For example. You can say she plays for Arsenal now, but don't say why she made the decision to play for Arsenal. Telling her a second hand account of her emotional response to a decision could skew her memory of what actually happened until she remembers on her own."
"So I can't confirm we are dating"
The doctor gave her a sad smile, "it's better if she remembers on her own. Ring the button if anything changes."
Katie took a deep breath before going back in to face Caitlin, but when she returned Caitlin was asleep again and Katie was almost grateful that she wouldn't have to have more conversation with someone who didn't remember her.

The next day was more of the same. Caitlin in and out of sleep and still slightly confused why Katie wouldn't leave. Katie started to tell her little facts. Which team they played for, a few facts about herself being from Dublin and having 10 siblings. Jordan, Beth, and Viv all came to visit her as well and they only thing that slightly comforted Katie for a millisecond was that she didn't remember them either. Why did that comfort her she didn't know, but if Caitlin never remembered her and started to remember others she wasn't sure how she'd make it through.

The following day, Caitlin's mum and sister finally arrived and Katie gave them a moment of privacy. Her mum and sister gave her a sad smile, knowing if Caitlin had known who she was she wouldn't have allowed Katie to leave the room just because her family was there. Caitlins face finally lit up when she saw her family because she finally recognized someone who was visiting.