Chapter One Hundred and Eleven

November seventeenth

"Where is he?" My mother crosses her arms while we set the table up for the kids. They play in the backyard with Aaliyah and Nathan and Shawn's parents along with my dad.

"He's on tour, I've told you that before." I sigh as I finish putting out the forks.

"He can't get a brake from his tour?" She scoffs a little grabbing the plastic plates.

"You asked me this when he didn't show up for Adams birthday," I point. "He can't, he said he can't and there's no way he's going to be allowed either," I grab the fruit and veggie trays setting them on the tables. "And regardless they don't know who he is," I roll my eyes a little and my mother sighs.

"That's the problem," she looks to our four happy children as they giggle and run around playing with their grandparents. They don't find it strange that they have two sets of grandparents but only one parent, in just assuming that's what they think everyone has.

"I'm sure he'll call them, today of all days," I nod finally starting to see my mothers point.

"Where is he now?" She sighs again helping me prepare the three little cakes we've gotten each of them.

"I don't know," I mumble looking to the floor in embarrassment. "He won't tell me and his website his app none of it tells me where he is."

"Why won't he tell you? You deserve to know?" She scoffs again making me sigh.

"I guess I kinda do," I look to the floor. "I'll call him and see and then we'll bring the kids in." I nod at her.

"Alright, good luck." She smiles a little walking out back to play with out little ones. I quickly press on his contact and dial his number. It goes straight to voicemail.

"Hey, it's Shawn!" He cheerful voice plays through the voice mail recording. "If I didn't get your call it's because of the time difference, I'm probably asleep." He laughs a little. "But I'll call you back as soon as I can." It ends like that before the generic female voice comes on to tell me about how the voicemail works. I end the call and lean over the sink. I haven't heard his voice in a long time. It's so sweet and gentile, he speaks with such purity and assurance. I then text him,

To Shawn: It's their birthday today. They can't really remember you but I'd really appreciate it if you'd call them or at least try?

"Come here," I leave my phone on the counter and I go to grab the kids. "You want some cake?" I smile at my already energetic children. Adam holds Mercy's hand and leads her into the house while Kaiden and Jericho come to me. I lift them both into their high chairs and then I help Mercy. "Thank you babe," I smile at Adam who now sits in a regular chair with a booster seat.

"Welcome mama," he smiles as my mom feeds Jericho a strawberry. Shawn's mom attempts giving Mercy a raspberry and Kaiden reaches for a carrot.

"You want it?" Our dad's smile. Shawn's dad takes the carrot to cut it up while my dad takes the pieces and feed it to him. I smile letting them sit for a moment before I go to get the door.

"Hi I've got a delivery here for a Reese Mendes?" He smiles.

"Do I need to sign?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Yeah, just right here," he gives me a pen and hands me the paper pointing to where I'm supposed to sign. "Awesome," he smiles. "Thanks," he gives me four boxes and I smile looking as they're each addressed to our children. I start closing the door but he stops it. "There's another one," he smiles bringing the bigger box into the house with much each.

"Thank you," I smile. And he nods walking off. I just leave them at the side walking back to my kids. I place a candle in the three slices of cake and my dad helps me bring them out.

"Happy birthday to you," we start and soon the rest of our family joins in. "Make a wish sweethearts," I smile at my kids. "Blow out the flame," I smile showing them what to do. They blow on the candles unable to get them out do me Aaliyah and Nathan each help a child blowing out their candles.

"Yay!" Everyone cheers as the flames burn out. "Now look?" I point to the boxes. "Someone sent them for you," they giggle clapping even Adam smiles as if feeling happy for his siblings. "There's one for you too," I reassure kissing Adam cheek. "Look," I smile bringing them to the living room where boxes sit. They had opened all of their other presents before cake. They received mainly clothes as everyone knew they'd find close to no interest in anything else. "Here," I hand each child a box which I've already cut open.

"Mama," Mercy gasps showing me her pink stuffed elephant and blanket staring her birthday and name.

"Mama," Kaiden giggles holding out his blue stuffed monkey and a blanket looking much like Mercy's.

"Mama," Jericho smiles at the sigh of his blue stuffed dog and blanket looking exactly like his siblings'.

"Wow," I smile at them all.

"Mama," Adam shows me what he got bringing him to tears. It made me smile but I tested up as well. A car, simply a remote controlled car but a replica of the one he had when he was younger. "Daddy," he smiles at it.

"Yeah baby, daddy," I smile thinks he's only referring to the car and how Shawn and him always played with it. I kiss his forehead in awe at how he still remembers. I take the card attached to Kaiden's box. "To my," I read what's written on the page but soon I can almost hear him speaking.

To my three beautiful children, Happy Birthday! I can't believe that I'm missing your first birthday, the first of many, many more. I hope you like the gifts I've sent you, for my little princess I have a pink elephant hand sewn and embroidered specially for you, it's a one of a kind. And for my little boy's, Kaiden has a specially made and newly created monkey because that's how I see you. You love to play and have fun, you love to 'monkey around.' For Jericho I have a dog because he thinks he's the leader of our pack (although I could've equally given one to Mercy given the way she can control us.) And Adam, my oldest baby I got you a car. I don't know if you remember it but I certainly do, it was your first and favourite toy. It was your favourite thing to play, with anyone. I'm so thankful for you all and I miss you so so much. I'm sorry I never call but whenever I get the time you'll all be asleep and when you call me I'm usually asleep. I love you four more than words can express and I'm so sorry about leaving you guys. I'll see you in about four months.

With love, Daddy.

"It's from daddy," I smile at the little ones. They're too occupied with their new toys to care. "You'll figure it out soon," I ruffle their hair. They whine a little and I smile as they play against with their toys.

"Mama," Adam points at the big box. It stands up taller than I do.

"Yes baby?" I smile kneeling down. He shakes his head at me and points again.

"Mama," he emphasizes and Ian nods.

"This ones addressed to you," he smiles.

"Oh," I chuckle looking at it. I attempt opening the box but fail.

"Want some help?" Geoff laughs a little.

"Shut up," I scoff rolling my eyes. I'm fairly short, I'm only about five two maybe a little taller but I'm not very tall, and in fact I'm nothing compared to Shawn.

The box sits only about two maybe three inches taller then I but I can't reach. "Here," Jeff rolls his eyes at Geoff and helps me with the box while the girls try putting the kids to sleep. He hands me a slip of paper that sits on the top of the box.

I wanna stay your teddy bear. His note reads. Inside of the box lays a giant teddy bear with another slip of paper attached to it. Call me when you get this. I designed the bear especially for you and an incredibly talented Japanese seamstress made it. This bear is perfect for cuddles that I know you love so much. It's designed to be just like me, for the cuddles that is. I love you princess, and thank you so much for everything you do for me and our family. Stay strong it'll be over before you know it. I can see the tear stains on the paper and I add some of my own.

"God I promised myself I wouldn't cry," I sniff. The babies sleep but Adam refuses.

"Daddy?" he points at the box.

"Daddy," I nod.