Time For School Once More

Peter awoke early the next morning and nudged Abandon awake who had felt as if he had just closed his eyes. He swiped a paw against his eyes and groaned. "What time is it," he complained.

"5:30," replied Peter as he grabbed a change of clothes and quickly put them on. He then rushed into the bathroom and brushed his teeth before he tried to fix his hair. For who, Abandon didn't know.

Abandon had gotten up and made the bed, or at least tried. He had flown upward and tried to pull the sheets but his wind had gotten a bit out of control and his pillow flew across the room. He frowned and romped over, picked up the pillow with his teeth, and strode over to the bed. He put it back where it belonged and beamed, his tail wagging.

Peter looked over and nodded his head. "Thanks." He pushed some books into his book bag and barged out of his room. Abandon followed, closing the door and locking it with his talon like claws. He hardly remembered he was missing one until he saw the rope of the necklace hanging out of Peter's pocket.

They both ran down the stairs and trailing into the kitchen. Peter opened the fridge and grabbed an apple. He took a bite before he reached deeper into the fridge and grabbed a piece of cold chicken. He tossed it over his shoulder and Abandon reared on his hind legs as he caught the chicken in his teeth. He threw it into the air and caught it again, swallowing it whole. He licked his lips and smiled at Peter.

"Better than dog food," Abandon barked as he waited for Peter to pull off another bite of chicken and toss it toward him.

Peter took another chunk of cold chicken. He was about to throw it over his shoulder to Abandon but Aunt May turned the corner and placed her hands on her hips. "I hope that you aren't giving that to the dog."

"Aunt May," gasped Peter as he smacked his hand against the top rack in the fridge. He gasped in pain and turned to face Aunt May with the half eaten apple in one hand and the cold chicken in the other. "I didn't hear you."

"I bet not. Who taught you how to eat politely?"

"You did," answered Peter as he took another bite of apple before kissing Aunt May on the check.

"Are you going to eat that chicken too," asked Aunt May with a mischievous gleam in her eye. "Because you know I don't tolerate wasting food."

Peter nodded and eyed the cold chicken and gulped. "Yeah, of course I am." He took the chicken and chewed it slowly before he swallowed it. He hated cold chicken but he forced himself to eat it. He shivered and took another bite of the apple. "See."

Aunt May patted his shoulder. "Alright now you can go to school," she told him as she looked to Abandon.

"I take it that you're taking him," Aunt May asked.

Peter nodded and threw his back pack over his shoulder. "He's a real hit with the girls at school. Perhaps he can land me a date."

Aunt May rolled her eyes and pushed him forward. "Go to school!"

"Where's Uncle Ben," asked Peter as he threw his apple core into the garbage.

"He's working late. He should be back home before you get home from school," Aunt May told him before she pointed toward the door. "Now don't be late."

Peter nodded and rushed to the door with Abandon following. They were determined not to have the day they had yesterday.