Ichimatsu x Reader

Every moment Ichimatsu spent with you felt like a simultaneous dream and nightmare. He never thought he'd be able to have someone by his side who understood him as well as you did, let alone someone who loved him as you did.

So why was it also a nightmare? Well... Although your presence brought him great happiness, he found himself dealing with overwhelming nerves even when just sitting next to you. It's been a good couple months and he's been too nervous to even hold your hand! 

Thinking that only fed his insecurities, but his state of confusion stayed as well. You didn't seem annoyed by his awkward tendencies and movements, you always smiled at him, as you truly were happy.

Like right now, the movie you brought that playing on the old television was just a background noise now; he was far too entranced seeing you look so peaceful. At times he'd just be in a daze when in your presence, just thinking how he managed to be so lucky. 

Unfortunately, his timing was never that great. 

You turned your head, feeling a fixed gaze up on you. "Ichimatsu?"

'Dammit, dammit!' Already feeling himself sweat, it took a moment for him to reply properly. "H-Huh? Wh-what?"

Unfazed by his sudden stutter-y sentences, you smiled. "You okay?"

Clenching his baggy trousers, he averted his eyes from your warm ones.

"M-Mhm, I am..."

"Oh? You sure?" You pressed, but only out of concern. He stiffly nodded his head.

Thankfully that was enough of a satisfactory answer. "Okay, good!"

An incredibly noticeable shade of red seemed to flood his entire face, and Ichimatsu cursed at himself. He felt real pathetic being this jumpy, but he just couldn't help it. 

Despite his nervousness, he did have some hopes for this date. He's been with you for a little while now, and some small, tiny, minuscule part of him admitted that he wanted to closer than he was. ... Physically. But not in a weird way! 

Ichimatsu's eyes wandered back to you after their quick glance to the wall, landing on your hand that was resting nearby his. He inhaled slowly.

'What kind of cruel joke is this?!'  He screamed internally. He felt his own hand twitch distractingly. You were so close, and yet so far...

Ichimatsu let out a sigh, steeling his nerves. 'I can do this... Maybe... Probably not. Ugh... D-Deep breaths... It's right there!'

Lifting up his now shaky (and now sweaty) hand, he slowly inched it towards yours. With your eyes focused on the screen, you didn't seem to notice his movements. If you did, he'd die from embarrassment.

When your fingers were just millimetres away from Ichimatsu's, and he was filled with joy; you moved your hand. 

Immediately he retraced his hand, it retreating into his jumper pocket. Even with his slick and cat-like reflexes, his heart was still thumping wildly. You didn't see to notice, only adjusting your position to a more comfortable one.

When your hands returned to the couch, they were closer than before. At that point, the fourth eldest had no clue what to do. What if you didn't want him to hold your hand and was angry at him? What if you did and you were disappointed that he didn't? Should he really stoop to his older brothers level and try the yawn trick?! 

... No, he'd really die of embarrassment then. 

Just when all hope seemed lost, your gentle hand patted his hunched shoulders. He sat up quickly, whipping his head around. 

Your eyebrows were drawn together in faint worry, a frown on your face as you looked at him. "Are you sure you're fine? If you're bored of the movie, then-"

"No!" He responded hurriedly, wincing at the sudden loudness of his voice. "Th-That's... I..."

Your face softened. "What? You can tell me."

With your sweet reassurance, his stomach felt fluttery. "Uh... W-Well..."

However your kindness seemed to only make his situation worse. Seeing you stare up at him with that expression made his cheeks felt red-hot, and the already garbled mess of words he tried to reply with only became more of a jumbled disarray of syllables and sounds.

Even with his mumbles and whispers, you managed to piece it together due to the shaky hand he was holding out to you. Now he wasn't the only one who's face aflame.

"Oh! I understand." You finally spoke up, smiling bashfully. You threaded his fingers in between yours, his touch warm and welcoming despite his palms being clammy.

Glancing upwards again for confirmation, you eyes met with your boyfriend's dazed ones as he stared at your joined hands. He felt your stare, and quickly looked in front of him again, but the small smile on his lips remained.

                             _________________________________________

A/N: Sorry it's short! ^^

I really like Ichimatsu's inner monologues, they're funny to me. Hopefully I managed to recreate them well?

Thank you for reading!